replacement for SF5P - RE0 or UE700?
Apr 13, 2010 at 12:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

b-sides

100+ Head-Fier
Alright guys, a recap: I broke my UE SF5Ps in December when the cable housing ripped out of the socket and took some wires with it. It was the second time it had happened, although the last time was about 3 years ago. Obviously, they're out of warranty so I've been looking for a replacement. I had trouble narrowing it down... it was MUCH easier back in the day (2004-2005) to make a decision when there were literally about 20 reputable universal IEMs on the market, but I guess now there's more choice and competition, and lower price points, so I really can't complain.

Anyways, I found the SF5P to be relatively inoffensive, I was never really blown away with them, but I was never particularly disappointed. Soundstage was good and the midrange was full. I found the highs to be slightly recessed, and fit and comfort were big issues. They felt uncomfortable after long sessions, stuck out quite a bit, and never really sealed well. At $200, I never really felt like I was getting my money's worth. I also ended up turning to my SR80s or HD580s at home, since I felt like they blew the SF5Ps out of the water in basically every regard (especially since I don't need isolation at home).

I've been looking for something that is relatively inexpensive, is comfortable for long sessions, and can isolate reasonably well. I travel fairly frequently, often commute on the subway, and study in loud cafes. These will mostly be used on the go. In terms of sound, I tend to gravitate towards a warmer sound. I like mids, and although I'm not a basshead, I want to know that the bass is there. The ER6 is an example of something that's totally lacking in bass to me. My musical tastes are very wide, and i listen to a lot of acoustic music, chillout/downtempo, indie rock, and jazz. My price limit was roughly 100, though I was willing to push that to about 120 if necessary.

This is my problem (and sorry for taking so long to get to my point). After 4 months of bouncing between the RE0, S4, and reshelling the SF5Ps, I finally went with the RE0s just because I couldn't ignore all the hype. I have a couple concerns - I'm wondering if they have enough isolation and bass, and I'm also wondering if they are too analytic for my tastes. However, they do have a 30 day return policy, so I went ahead and pulled the trigger. I totally ignored the existence of the UE700 until after I ordered the RE0s, and now I'm wondering if I made a mistake. Their sound seems to be similar to the SF5Ps, which I can live with if they offer better isolation. The 700s seem to fit the bill in terms of comfort and isolation, and I also qualify for UE's 50% off replacement program. This would put the 700s at about $100, only $15 more than the RE0s. Is there anyone who has used both the RE0 and the UE700s and can address my concerns? Any comparisons would be helpful, and SF5P vs RE0 comparisons will help too. I haven't been able to find these through my searches. Thanks for the help!

Apr 13, 2010 at 1:28 AM Post #2 of 8
Also, I've always been a huge senn fanboy, and I've always been tempted by the IE7, but they're a bit out of my pricerange... love to get my hands on them if I could find them for a lot cheaper.

Apr 13, 2010 at 3:20 AM Post #3 of 8
Considering what you've said, I don't think the RE0 fit you perfectly. You'll like them I'm sure, but the isolation isn't what it could be, and the sound is a tad thin. That said, at -26dB the UE700 are no masters of isolation either. If isolation and warmth are what you want you may want to look at the Westones or Shures (and maybe the ety ER4P).

With a good EQ and bass up a bit (I use +10dB with rockbox, as well as crossfeed which also bumps it a bit) the RE0 are capable of solid, high quality bass and a little more warmth. They have serious potential; they can reach really low into sub bass, something my Grados aren't able to do.

If these don't do it for you, look towards the Panasonic HJE900. They have stronger bass w/o EQ FWIR and better isolation. But at least give the RE0 a try.

The IE series is open - the isolation is not good for anything other than light noise.

Apr 13, 2010 at 4:25 AM Post #4 of 8
I think RE0 isolate as much as SF5Pro with much better highs, clear mids and good bass response in general(better sound quality than SF5Pro with low price) and they improve lot with AMPs help.

Apr 13, 2010 at 5:20 AM Post #5 of 8
I read that the re0 gets about 15-20 db of isolation. The sf5p was supposed to get 26, but I don't think I ever came close to that. Had no idea the IE7 was open... that's a shame...

Apr 13, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #6 of 8
I'm assuming most people have never heard the UE700... they don't seem to be very popular on the boards.

Apr 19, 2010 at 9:00 AM Post #7 of 8
hi, i don't own any of these phones (yet) but i have auditioned the TF10 and the UE700 on several occasions. source was an unamped cowon U3 with flat EQ, playing vocals, classical and jazz.

comfort-wise, i really liked the UE700. very discreet and light compared to the SF5. for the type of music i listen to, i preferred it to the TF10 in terms of clarity, neutrality and instrument separation. i found it easier to get a good fit on the UE700 also, but that could be just my ears.

because my CK7s are not doing so well, i've primarily been contemplating the UE700, RE0 and the Ety ER4P.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back