Replacement for Protector, tired of changing cables.
Nov 22, 2010 at 12:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Superfrag

500+ Head-Fier
So right now, I have the Protector driving my JH5's, and in future the JH16. This is the setup : laptop --> gamma-2 --> Protector --> JH5.

Now, my problem is the constant cable replacement, I use my custom's everywhere, with my iPad as well as my phone. And sometimes I use the Protector along with my iPad, so I change cables there also. Now I'm tired of constantly changing the cables, and have decided to sell my Protector, and replace it with a similar portable amplifier, which has 3.5mm output with similar quality as the Protector(I know Signature will be different, that's not an issue). Battery life isn't much of a concern, 85% of the time it'll be plugged to the wall.

I was looking at the Stepdance but I don't want to spend extra on powering it through the wall using a good adapter. Other options are the P51 Mustang, but I don't know how much of a step down that is, if it isn't much of a step down I don't mind. TTVJ Slim, ALO RX as well as Pico amps come to mind. I don't mind 2nd hand or new, should have tolerable battery life. So which one's do you'll think will fit in best without changing the other parts of the setup? I use my Protector for gaming and movies as well 40 % music, 30 % movies and games. So a good soundstage is important as well, along with other stuff obviously.

Edit : If the Stepdance is a worthy replacement, and is the best choice, let me know. I'll go through the hassle of finding a good adapter for powering the Stepdance.

Nov 22, 2010 at 8:38 AM Post #2 of 8
Protector is one of the best amps when run balanced. As an option, you could buy an adapter Protector>3.5mm.
If you still want to replace it, I'd suggest looking for an iQube: very neutral with huge soundstage.

Nov 22, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #3 of 8
You may already know this, but cable makers like Craig from Whiplash, ALO, and Moon Audio make Protector-to-mini adapters.  I use one for my JH16 Protector cable, and it's very small and easy to switch.  If you like the Protector, it may be worth investing in the adapter in order to keep using it with your IEMs and any other headphones you may get balanced with the Protector plug.

Nov 23, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #5 of 8
I use an adapter to go from the balanced to SE on the cable that I made. It is fast and no problem at all. You don't need to change the cable on your monitors and you don't have to invest in two separate custom cables for each monitor. 

Nov 24, 2010 at 12:02 AM Post #6 of 8
Jamato, that might be a good idea.. lemme look into that. I didn't want to get that and was looking into a good replacement for the Protector, but it seems, shape/size wise, battery life wise and SQ wise all combined it's still one of the best.. Plus I really love it sound stage when gaming. Guess I'll ask Craig for a balanced to 3.5mm adapter..

Nov 24, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #8 of 8
Wal-mart has a universal power supply for 15 bucks, works perfect with the Stepdance. IMO the Stepdance is superior to the amps i previously owned ie. Pico slim, p-51, RSA The Shadow ,and Arrow 12he. Others opinions may vary, but to me the SQ coming from the Stepdance is something special.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back