Replacement for Pioneer Elite DV-05 DVD Player
Jan 17, 2002 at 9:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

grrr223

All I want for Christmas is Radio Shack Cat.#910-4380
I didn't really know what forum to put this in, and while there are probalby better sites to post this question to, I trust you guys more than anyone else on the internet. So, here goes...

My little brother decided to throw a party that got out of hand while my parents were out of town for the weekend. During the course of this party, my $1000 MSRP THX certified DVD player got stolen. (Fortunately, all of my headphones and CDs were safely still at school, otherwise my brother would be dead by now
biggrin.gif
) While my brother thinks he knows who took it, he says there is no sure way to get it back and that he will compensate me for it. I paid $500 for it brand new at a Tweeter wise buy a little less than 2 years ago. It is no longer made, but it is going on ebay for $300-$400 new and used every once in a while.

What I am looking for from you guys is any suggestions on how best to do that. One option is that he give me cash for it, and there are a few options here.
A) $500 (what I paid for it)
B) More than $500 because unless I manage to pick up one on ebay which will probalby be used anyway, I won't be able to get a DVD player of equal quality for $500 today. Or....
C) Less than $500 because the value of the player has depreciated over the past 2 years.

Or he could get me a new DVD player. The options here are to pick one up on ebay of the same model, or to buy me a new comparable one of your suggestion. Any help would be appreciated in settling this matter smoothly and without the loss of my brother's life.

Jan 17, 2002 at 9:43 PM Post #2 of 6
If it was my brother I would simple save the money myself buy a dvdp and "simulate
very_evil_smiley.gif
" a robbery of something treasurable to him.......
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 17, 2002 at 9:46 PM Post #3 of 6
First, this is your brother. So you probably shouldn't treat him exactly the same way you'd treat somebody else. Assuming you accept this premise, here's the breaks you should cut him, IMO.

1. Recognize that DVD players have dropped in price considerably over the past two years. You can probably get a player with identical or better features, and similar build quality, for around $300 - $400 brand new.

2. Think about what features you want in a DVD player. Pick a model that meets those requirements, and has similar build quality to the old one. If this is considerably cheaper than you expected it to be, pick up a couple of DVDs on your brother's tab as well. He shouldn't get off TOO cheap, after all...
wink.gif

Jan 17, 2002 at 10:16 PM Post #4 of 6
Find the ******* who stole it. Beat $1000 out of him, then beat him up some more for the hell of it.
If that doesn't go well. I suggest the Toshiba DVD SD4700 ($299)

Jan 18, 2002 at 5:17 PM Post #6 of 6
Thanks guys for your responses.I was thinking the same way as you Russ, I honestly don't even want him to have to pay $500 or anything for that matter to replace it, but he had people over and since he can't get it back, i do want something in return. Hell, i'm still paying for the damned thing...kinda. You did seem kinda easy on him though, are you sure your name isn't Pat, and oyu didn' thave a party when our parents were away last weekend....?
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back