Replacement for Philips Downtown for portable use, help me decide
Feb 1, 2014 at 7:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

SonicScientist

New Head-Fier
Apparently the right element of my cans blew on me and I need a new ones for everyday portable use: public transportation, walking around the town, visiting parents etc. I'd like to keep the budget sub-$100ish, but looking at the possibilities looks like I might have to go over it because where I live everything is either overpriced or hard to find.

The cheap ones I could get for 50-60euros are: CAL, JVC HA-S400  and Koss Pro DJ100. I'm not sure if CAL's isolate enough and they look a bit flimsy for outdoors use (getting stuffed in the bag and so on), S400 feel a bit like a flavor of the month cans and I might have to order them from Japan and mess with the customs office (the bureaucracy!) And what I've heard DJ100 won't work too well without an amp.

The more expensive ones include Audo Technica M50, and Logi UE6000 for about 120 euros both. First, I don't know if I really want to spend this much on portable phones. Second, M50's cord feels a bit unpractical for running around and I've heard conflicting opinions about UE6000. Also both seem to be huge. Uptowns would be another contester, is the volume control thingy really that bad?

In nutcase, I don't really know which one would fit the bill best. I liked how Downtown sounded and I like the sound of HM5 and Grado Sr-80 which I have home, if that gives any direction. I also listen to pretty much everything (last-fm profile for reference) so the can's shouldn't be too specialized for one genre. Any opinions?

Feb 1, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #3 of 5
As for big ones nothing really: Grados were my first real cans and I've had them for around 10 years. Got Hm5 2 years back when the cable broke and I didn't know if I could fix them. For portables I've had Porta Pros, Px100-2 and Jays V-Jays prior Downtowns. PPs were really good for their price if not a bit too bass-oriented. PX were really dark and  weird sounding, like  the Sennheiser veil but stronger than on any other Senns I've heard. V-jays were okayish, but I had them only for a short time before they got stolen (left my stuff on the table at bar for a minute, friends decided to go out and leave them behind).

I liked the Downtowns itself. The lower end sounded really good and packed a punch when needed, yet the bass wasn't too dominant. I had to boost upper mids a little bit with EQ to get them sound more natural.

I also have TT Isurus IEMs which were pretty damn good for their price with 3rd part bi-flange tips (and awful with the normal tips). Thing is I'm really good at destroying IEMs and losing the tips. Also especially the big bi-flange tips start to hurt my ears after month's or so use. Otherwise I would consider getting in-ears too.

Feb 1, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #4 of 5
Hi,

You should consider Beyerdynamic DTX501p

http://www.head-fi.org/products/beyerdynamic-dtx-501-p

Best Luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back