Replacement for mdr-xb500
Jun 5, 2014 at 3:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Odin6786

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I have used the search bar before doing this, but I couldn't come to a conclusion based on the topics I viewed.

I am looking to replace my sonys as the ear pads are starting to fall apart. They are really just shedding, but I want a new pair. I am tempted to just get a second pair, though would like an actual upgrade.

However, I want the headphones to either sound just like the 500s, or preferably have deeper bass while maintaining the clarity of the mids and highs. I have considered the audiotechnica ath m-50s, but fear they won't have the bass i'm looking for.

I listen to music of all sorts, rock, metal, reggae, classical. I will also use these headphones most for playing video games. The xb500s always blow me away when I watch the opening video of Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn... I love how these headphones vibrate from the deep bass yet the vocals and the clash of swords sound so clean and crisp, and everything in between still sounds great and is audible and distinguishable from each other.

I'm looking for some cans that can fill the 500s shoes. One pair of headphones that can do it all as well as the 500s. Over the ear only.

$300 is the absolute limit, preferably half that. Wireless a plus. I know I'm asking a lot and won't be surprised if my expectations aren't met, but maybe someone can help me make a decision based on the headphones I personally own and absolutely love the sound of and i don't want to stray far from the way these sound.

Help much appreciated :)

Jun 7, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #2 of 19
Well, I want to add that I received a pair of Bose Quiet comfort 15's today for my birthday. I do like them, they are more crisp and clear than my Sonys, but I don't love them like I do the Sonys.

The Sonys just have so much more powerful bass, while still sounding crisp, even if not quite on the same level level as the Bose. I prefer the more powerful sound of the Sony. If anyone can help find an alternative to those, powerful bass, yet still on the crisp highs and mids side, I would take the Bose back.

Jun 7, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #3 of 19
Hi,

You should consider:

V-Moda M100
Yamaha Pro 500
AudioTechnica WS99
M-Audio Q40
Beyerdynamic DT770 80 Ohm version + Amp (Schiit Magni for example)

Best Luck!

Jun 7, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #5 of 19
Thank you for the suggestions Me x3, I will look into those.
Saoshyant, I was looking to make a real upgrade, especially for the price of the xb500s. I paid $80 when I got them only to find out a few weeks later they were only $50 at the time on the internet. Now they are $150...I don't want used. So price is the driving reason, my hope was for the price, I could upgrade maybe.

Jun 7, 2014 at 10:38 PM Post #6 of 19
Thank you for the suggestions Me x3, I will look into those.
Saoshyant, I was looking to make a real upgrade, especially for the price of the xb500s. I paid $80 when I got them only to find out a few weeks later they were only $50 at the time on the internet. Now they are $150...I don't want used. So price is the driving reason, my hope was for the price, I could upgrade maybe.

What sources will the headphones be plugged into?

Jun 7, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #7 of 19
The most important thing it will be plugged into, is my PC with an external Creative sound card. Other devices being my Nexus 7 and Wii U controller. I won't be DJ'ing with these if that is what you are wondering PurpleAngel

I have also considered a Fiio or something similiar if that's another trail of thought you are having PurpleAngel.

Jun 7, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #8 of 19
The most important thing it will be plugged into, is my PC with an external Creative sound card. Other devices being my Nexus 7 and Wii U controller. I won't be DJ'ing with these if that is what you are wondering PurpleAngel

I have also considered a Fiio or something similiar if that's another trail of thought you are having PurpleAngel.

How about the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80-Ohm headphones?

Jun 7, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #10 of 19
I got the XB-920 as a replacement to my XB-700 with aging pads, better sound isolation, massive bass, although on ear only.

Sent from my SM-N9005

Actually, look for a new XB1000 it can be had for aroun $250 or 300 dollars, it should be a nice upgrade 

Jun 9, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #12 of 19
You can check out the Ultrasone Pro 900. They're extremely detailed, and they have insane, monstrous bass, though the mids are detailed, it's very recessed though if you like the V-shaped sig and can maybe eq the treble down a tad, they're a real bass beast.

Or something more simple is the already mentioned dt770. They too have recessed mids but have great bass, and bright treble, another very V shaped can.

If keeping the mids is important you may like the Q40. Well extended treble but smoothed out, a very present, warm mid range and great bass and if eq'd they can handle just about as much bass your throw at them!

Jun 9, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #13 of 19
That ultrasone also completely blows the budget. But yes, every basshead tendancy I've ever had really wants to give that headphone a try.

Jun 10, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #14 of 19
Oh yeah, sorry dude. I kinda forgot the budget, lmao! The Pro500 wasn't a bad recommendation either, has a very strong, full sound! If you pick up the Q40s and get a fiio e12, e11, e07k, e17 or a digizoid Z02 (a few portable amps I've tried with them) and boosted their bass and volume to more than necessary levels, they can pump out massive shaking bass with out any distortion really! For their price they're great!:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back