Replacement for icemat Siberia, $40-100 range, no amp, gaming/music
Mar 6, 2015 at 1:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

JustJohn

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I'm looking to replace some old icemat Siberias that I liked a lot. Looking to replace them with identical or better sound quality/comfort and a little more solid construction. I take good care of my headphones but one of those flimsy crossbars broke on me eventually.

This will be probably 70/30 gaming/music, mic would be useful but not necessary, do not need wireless, not using an amp, willing to do simple mods. I want good positional audio for gaming, don't know enough about sound signatures to have strong feelings there, might prefer something on the warmer, more open side. Don't need isolation either, so probably looking for open phones. Not much preference on bass as long as it's not muddy or completely lacking. I listen to a pretty wide variety of music but acoustic and alt rock leaning; not much electronica. Also need to be fairly comfortable.

On my radar:
HD 518
HD 558
HD 439 (on sale right now)
hi2050
SR60e
Creative Aurvana Live!
HA-RX900

Looking for recommendation/clarification between those based on the info I provided, or further suggestions . Thanks!

TL;DR
Want bang-for-buck phones comfortable, good for gaming and music, looking for over ear, probably open. Not using amp. HD 518? Other?

Mar 7, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #2 of 2
Found some mint condition 558s on ebay for $77 with mic, and since I needed a mic anyway that puts them essentially at the 518 sale price. Went with that.

However, I'm curious why I didn't get any answers. Too many options I was considering? Too long a post? Other?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back