Replacement for HD650 - Not satisfied
May 19, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #77 of 82
  Hey, I have a song where there's the sound of a plane.
Plane turbines generate 160dB

As a compromise, I'm taking 145dB and I'm getting an amp capable of 1000 Vrms to drive my DTs.

dt880smile.png
(just a little joke!)

There are some turbines - and I've worked with the planes that use them - where the sonic pressure is enough to be fatal in certain circumstances.

But you're right - it was a little joke. 

May 20, 2015 at 12:27 AM Post #78 of 82
I'm not really interested in the conversation much in this thread, I was just skimming threads... but you guys are overestimating dynamic range. Look up some dynamic ranges in here: http://dr.loudness-war.info . Even Bach, Mozart, and others are below 20 dB maximum dynamic range. I've got Sessions From the 17th Ward by Amber Rubarth in my music library with 19 dB max DR and sometimes it's difficult to set the volume because of the loud peaks, let alone 30 dB.

Except you need to understand where those numbers come from. Those numbers are not dynamic range in the traditional sense of quietest sound to loudest, but rather the top 20% loudest average values compared to the 2nd highest peak values. Dynamic range in these two contexts are completely different from one another.

May 20, 2015 at 8:02 AM Post #79 of 82
Ok thanks everyone for stopping by. After reading reviews and comparisons here on head-fi and a lot of concidering, I'm replacing my HD650 with the DT990 600Ω. Most probably I'm getting it this Friday :). I can't wait !

May 20, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #82 of 82
Yeah it's bound to be !!! See you in the metal thread :D
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back