Replacement for FiiO E11
Mar 6, 2016 at 8:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

TheGiantHogweed

1000+ Head-Fier
My FiiO E11 is starting to have problems with the sound when turning the dial. The blue light often seems to flicker when I do this. When is does flicker, there is a load of popping and crackling. Also, whenever the light goes off, I don't hear the music. I adjust the volume very often so this is quite a big problem. It doesn't happen all the time though.

I am just wondering what a good replacement could be. I love the design of my E11. I am a little put off by the new FiiO E11k/A3 because of the design. It seems very strange to me that the volume control is on the opposite side to both the input and output. Also, From a video comparing that with my old E11, the quantity of bass the new E11k adds isn't as much as mine.

This is about the most important thing for me as the E11 on bass boost 2 suits my headphones really well. Haven't found anything else that sounds as good with them. I have the Audio Tecknica ATH-AD700s and they are very bass light. I also have the FiiO E10 amplifier. The bass boost on that just isn't as good with my headphones. I pretty much always use the E10 as the DAC and use the line out of it to connect my E11.

Could anyone suggest a portable amplifier that boost the low end bass by quite some margin. My AD700s do seem to cope with quite a bit more bass added to them. I just want it to sound clean. Even with my FiiO X3, I can put the bass on that to +10 and they cope with that without distortion. The E11 sounds way better though as the bass it boost seems to sound like it is a much lower frequency. I think the X3 boosts it at around 100hz. The E11 sounds like it must be somewhere between 60 - 80hz. It suits them quite a bit better.

I don't think I will mind if it is a different brand. Here is a list of the things I am after:

Size - I would like it to be pretty similar the the E11

Dial - This is a must for me. I much prefer to have a dial for the volume instead of buttons.

Bass boost - I would like it to have the option of it being flat as well as having a bass boost of 1, 2 or even several positions if that would be possible. It is the deep low end bass that I like to increase. That is important to me.

Charging while in use - This isn't a must but It will be a big advantage. It can get a bit annoying now since the E11 battery life is pretty short and then I have to wait about 2 hours for it to charge before I can use it again

Price - I got my E11 for a very decent £34 brand new. I got it at 20% off a price that said was already reduced. This was from advancedmp3players.co.uk. It was about £54 on amazon.co.uk at that time.

Volume - Although both of the headphones I use with it are around 32ohm, I like the fact my E11 is sensitive so I don't have to turn the dial much. I would prefer if I could have something that is capable of going as loud in case I do end up eventually going for some headphones that are harder to drive

I think around £60 is the price I am willing to pay for what I am after. I think I would buy the E11 again if it was still available new. That is how much I like it.

As my E11 still is fine when not adjusting the dial, I'm not desperate for a new amplifier. I would just like some advice.

If anyone can help with this, I would much appreciate it. It will help if you have heard the original E11 or some Audio Technica ATH-AD range as a lot of them are very light weight in bass. I obviously can't expect everyone to have has both of these though!

Oct 7, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #2 of 7
Too bad no one answers cause i am looking for something similar...the boost on the E11K is indeed a lot weaker and didn't like them at all,sound quality was better but not the bass boost and with my phones the E11 is the best....

Oct 7, 2016 at 9:11 PM Post #4 of 7
Oct 7, 2016 at 9:13 PM Post #5 of 7
The E 12 Monte Blanc I had had a very good bass boast and eat splitting gain much more than my Alpha Dogs needed.

Oct 8, 2016 at 2:18 AM Post #6 of 7
I ended up buying a used E11 and I'm glad I did. Worked out far cheaper than getting a pair of headphones. I wouldn't want new headphones really though as I love everything about my ATH-AD700s other than that they are just a little bass light.

I've heard that the E12 boosts the bass nothing like as much as the E11 does.

The E11 bass boost doesn't go well with headphones that already have plenty of bass as they just don't need any more. Where as my headphones that are really pretty light weight in bass pair really well with the E11.

I've found that software EQ just isn't as effective as the bass boost on the E11. It isn't as clean either. And I can't strap software EQ to my music player. That is why I love my E11.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back