Replacement for Brainwavz M2
Jan 6, 2013 at 9:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

AudioAficionado

Head-Fier
Hello all,

My Brainwavz M2's are near the end of their lifespan now, so I'm looking for a replacement. Does anyone have suggestions for an IEM up to $60? I'm currently looking at the JLab J6m (which sometimes is on sale, but has nearly no information nor feedback on Head-fi) and the JBL J33i (which is new, but is receiving glowingly negative reviews on Amazon.com, so I'm curious as to whether it needs an amp or not). I'm basically looking for a more durable (but doesn't have to be something crazy durable and built like the JLab J4), the same or better sound quality than the Brainwavz M2, and the option of a mic.

Also, my preference of sound signature does lean towards a more bassy sound signature, so please, keep the Balanced Armature suggestions low (ex. Meelectronics A151) unless the IEM is a balanced-armature based design with a bit of exaggerated bass.

*** Please, no one suggest the Sony MH1C or the Klipsch S4 (first generation) because I do not want to board the hype train of the Sony's and the Klipsch, from personal experience, has horrid durability, specifically at the strain relief. Thanks! ***

--AudioAficionado

Jan 6, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #2 of 9
What would your top dollar be? If it can be stretched to the sub $100 range I would suggest either the Shure SE215, which has very rich and boomy bass where needed, but also great with acoustics. Or the Klipsch Image X10, which can be considering a great all around IEM with my experience, plenty of bass. I have a full review of it in my signature.

Jan 7, 2013 at 1:40 AM Post #4 of 9
Aaron, my maximum budget is $60, so possibly the Klipsch, but probably not the Shures. Thanks though!

djvkool, thanks for the first three of your suggestions. I just have two gripes: I heard that the Brainwavz R1 has durability issues. Also, I do not have access to a vendor that sells the Hippo VB because I'm in North America. At least, I do not know where to locate a vendor. Thanks for all of your suggestions anyway though!

Jan 7, 2013 at 2:15 AM Post #5 of 9
Just my 2 cents. At the moment the Klipsch price on Amazon has peaked higher than normal, normal being the price over the last month or so. They are currently $107 at the lowest, but just last week then were at $85. So give that some time and it will most likely go down again.

Jan 7, 2013 at 5:44 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:
Aaron, my maximum budget is $60, so possibly the Klipsch, but probably not the Shures. Thanks though!

djvkool, thanks for the first three of your suggestions. I just have two gripes: I heard that the Brainwavz R1 has durability issues. Also, I do not have access to a vendor that sells the Hippo VB because I'm in North America. At least, I do not know where to locate a vendor. Thanks for all of your suggestions anyway though!

Hippo VB can be bought from Jaben, look it up on Google 
wink_face.gif

If you can stretch your budget a little bit more, consider JVC HA-FXZ100, have a read of the thread below (including how to order, etc)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/632273/jvc-ha-fxz-100-200

Jan 7, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #7 of 9
Great, thanks for the suggestions. I was wondering where I can find a relatively detailed review on the JLab J6's? Or does someone own these IEMs and will be willing to provide me with a review for them? Thanks!

--Audio Aficionado

Jan 8, 2013 at 2:37 AM Post #8 of 9
i just got some hippo vbs about a week ago. i do not like them or recommend them for anyone except if you're willing to sacrifice everything for sub bass..

basically they have awesome sub bass. but actually a bit weak on the midbass and throughout most of the midrange (more than just laid back through the midrange... it's like where's the frickin midrange). then you get this super spike of brightness in the upper mids. metallic unnatural sound. picky about what you're listening to.

on the other hand i also just recently recieved some able planet dual dynamic sl 1050a phones (radius twf21 knockoffs). these and the sl-500 (im not exactly sure what the difference is) can be found on amazon in your price range.
they trounce the vb in everything but the lowest of sub bass. full natural balanced sound. just a tad strong thru the midrange "you can tell the dual drivers both cover the midrange a little bit more than needed. but it works and everything sounds relatively natural and smooth.

note that the fitment on these (able planet) is different from most phones. they do have silicone tips that sort of go in your ear like iems. but the large part of the housing just rests in your ear and prevents the silicone tip from going in far enough to FEEL like it seals. BUT once you start the music you will see that you probably have them in there good and dont need these ones deep in your ear like you might think. the way they fit is like a crossover between iems and just a regualr bud that sits in your ear. very casual fitting shallow iems. also they seem to stay put just fine

Jan 8, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #9 of 9
Thanks, rock&rollfrenchfries! I'll try to not be swayed by other Head-Fier's about the Hippo VBs now. I definitely not not sacrifice nearly all of the midrange for sub-bass impact. Again, thanks for the review! Now then, does anyone have anything about the JLab J6's? Or JBL J33's? It'd be great if anyone can post a review about either of these!

--AudioAficionado

Users who are viewing this thread

Back