Replacement for battered Beyerdynamic DT 990?
Nov 7, 2003 at 9:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

davebot

100+ Head-Fier
My trusty Beyerdynamic DT 990's have developed a short in the right channel, and the foam surrounds are losing integrity. So I'm looking for a replacement. My best bets appear to be the new DT 990 or the DT 880, but I'm concerned with comments I've read about the treble balance.

Last weekend I borrowed a friend's Sennheiser HD 580's. In short, I preferred my old Beyers, at least when both channels were working. Mine are the 600 ohm DT 990, bought in 1988. I enjoyed both the Beyers and the Senns, but to my ear (and in my system), the Beyers sounded more open, engaging, 3D, and a little more accurate on trumpet (which I play). (For example, the trumpet Promenade from Mussorgski's Pictures at an Exhibition didn't sound as much like a real trumpet with the 580's). That said, I've always wondered if my DT 990's weren't just a little brighter (not strident, just more HF) than real life. They sound airy and extended to my ear, but are a little brighter than my Vandersteen 1b's. Then again, the Vandy's have a reputation for warmth.

I've looked through all the discussion I could find here about the Beyerdynamic phones, but there seemed to be some disagreement about whether the 880's were bright or merely accurate, and whether the 990's were bright or dark. One person (hi Morsel) commented that she didn't buy the 880's because they were brighter than her old 990's (which I think may already be on the bright end of the spectrum).

I listen mostly to classical music, some jazz, some vocals, ranging from Mahler symphonies to solo piano and trumpet works. The 990's open, smooth, dynamic presentation makes me happy, and I'd like to get something like that, but timbral accuracy is also very important. If it helps, for the time being my system looks like this: NAD C541i CD player --> Audio Research LS3b preamp --> NAD 7175 receiver headphone out (or on to Vandersteen 1b speakers).

Any opinions as to how the 990's (new and old) and 880's compare in terms of balance and presentation? My local dealers don't carry these.

Thanks,

David

Users who are viewing this thread

Back