Replacement for Akg q701?
Mar 25, 2016 at 10:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

PinguForLife

New Head-Fier
I´m looking for a replacement for my now broken pair of q701´s. I want to try something similar yet still different for less than €300. Is the Sennheiser hd600 my best option?

The headphones will be used primarily for youtube, movies, gameing and podcast but also for some music.
They have to be comfortable and durable as they will be used for many hours every day.

I´m running a O2 amp and a Xonar DX( which will be replaced with a ODAC in the future)

Thanks!

Mar 25, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #2 of 10
  I´m looking for a replacement for my now broken pair of q701´s. I want to try something similar yet still different for less than €300. Is the Sennheiser hd600 my best option?
The headphones will be used primarily for Youtube, movies, gaming and podcast but also for some music.
They have to be comfortable and durable as they will be used for many hours every day.
I´m running a O2 amp and a Xonar DX (which will be replaced with a ODAC in the future)

Did you disable the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS, when you installed the Xonar DX?

Have you tried the Unified Xonar Drivers?
http://maxedtech.com/asus-xonar-unified-drivers/

The Xonar DX comes with a CS4398 DAC chip, so it provides a fairly good DAC function.
Is buying the ODAC is not something you have to no rush to get.

Mar 25, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #3 of 10

Did you disable the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS, when you installed the Xonar DX?

Have you tried the Unified Xonar Drivers?
http://maxedtech.com/asus-xonar-unified-drivers/

The Xonar DX comes with a CS4398 DAC chip, so it provides a fairly good DAC function.
Is buying the ODAC is not something you have to rush out to get.

There is no problem with the xonar DX. The headphones are broken. I have fixed them 2 times before but now one off the drivers is dead, completely dead.

I just want headphone recommendations :)

And upgrading from the DX is just and idea for now.

Mar 25, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #4 of 10
Fidelio X2
HD600
HE400S

If you wanted to look at a closed option, you might check out the PM-3, which is fairly unique.

In any event, all of the above would be different from your Q701, but still would be very high sound quality.

Mar 25, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #5 of 10
Is the fidelio x2 and O2 a good combo? I'm afraid that the low impedance Will make the volume control very sensitive.

Fidelio X2

HD600

HE400S

If you wanted to look at a closed option, you might check out the PM-3, which is fairly unique.

In any event, all of the above would be different from your Q701, but still would be very high sound quality.

Mar 25, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #6 of 10
  There is no problem with the xonar DX. The headphones are broken. I have fixed them 2 times before but now one off the drivers is dead, completely dead.

I just want headphone recommendations :)

And upgrading from the DX is just and idea for now.

I had to reedit my last answer, it should have said there is no rush for getting the ODAC.

Mar 25, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #7 of 10

The headphones will be used primarily for youtube, movies, gameing and podcast but also for some music.

I´m running a O2 amp and a Xonar DX( which will be replaced with a ODAC in the future)

Thanks!

Vs Q701

HD600 (warmer - much smaller soundstage - better vocal rendering)
DT880 (more neutral, airier, sturdier)
K712 (similar but warmer)
X2 (Waay more bass, less refined upper midrange and treble, lovely finish)

Mar 25, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #9 of 10

The DT880 has my interest. Which version would suit my setup best? 250 or 600?

If you are going to use them plugged into the O2 (exclusively), get the 600 Ohm version.
On the other hand if you'll use them with the O2 but also unamped or with a smaller amplifier from time to time, then the 250 Ohm version might serve you better.
Performance wise, both are pretty similar.

Mar 25, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #10 of 10
The headphones will be used primarily for YouTube, movies, gaming and podcast but also for some music.

My (Massdrop) AKG K7XX are currently my preferred open headphones.
Used ones go for around $180

Users who are viewing this thread

Back