Replacement for AKG K450
Jul 21, 2014 at 8:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

bice

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,
Few days earlier right cup of my AKG K450 has died. After searching for related problems on the internet I have discovered that my problem was also caused by broken cable in adjustment part of headphone. On the right side cable was ripped off and left side seem to be broken soon. I did not know if I will be able to figure this out by using warranty or trying to solder by myself, but I am sure that sooner or later I will change this headphone, so I needed some insights from you. By the way, I am using a Cowon C2 to drive these.

I used to like my k450 but it was not able to give me that "attack"s that I get from my PortaPro's(they are also gone because of broken cable). Generally I like bassy sounds they was ok k450 but, sometimes especially cymbal sounds disturbed me a lot. Besides, I generally listen rock, jazz and funk. 

Because, I am -in some way- ripping off cables I decided to buy something that has almost unbreakeble or replaceable cables. I did some research and found two alternatives that have a lot of good reviews: Sennheiser HD 25-1 ii(199euros) and ATH m50x(150euros). Compared to previous headphones these are more expensive so, I would rather to have most cost efficient one.

I mostly use headphones in buses, cars and outdoor for music listening, so it is important to be portable. This is what made me think about Senn's as an alternative to M50x. But also, it is important for me to have a good sound stage. Thus, I am confused in these two.

I have made a lot of research about their specifications but I need some real experience from users can you help me ? Thanks

Jul 22, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #2 of 6
I bought the M50X for portable use, but it ended up being way too bulky and heavy in my opinion. Some people can pull it off, but it looks ridiculous on my head, and doesn't feel very stable. Something to consider...

Jul 25, 2014 at 5:47 AM Post #3 of 6
Thanks for your answer. Another question: i have found hd25-1 ii and hd25-1 Aluminium at same price and I am planning to choose ALU but I wonder do these cans have fully replaceable parts as hd25-1 ii do ?

Jul 25, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #5 of 6
I'm very likely going to order the new AKG Y 40, which ships 8/13.  It has a detachable cable which looks to be non-proprietary and 3.5mm. 

http://www.harmanaudio.com/Search_Browse/product_detail.asp?urlMaterialNumber=Y40BLK&status

A brief, positive review here:

http://www.richersounds.com/product/all-headphones/akg/y40/akg-y40-blk

I could give my thoughts on the sound here in late August if I end up making the purchase.

Jul 26, 2014 at 7:49 AM Post #6 of 6
This seemed very similar to my k450s so, I think I will not trust its cable not to be broken from inside. Maybe they have handled this problem in this product but I am willing to select a more durable headphone which in this case is hd25 aluminium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back