Replacement for A2 pair
Apr 20, 2013 at 10:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Valter

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

my Audio Engine A2 have died on me, and I'm looking for options within the same price range.
These will be plugged to my imac 27" and desk space is ok, but I'm looking for something that still looks good inside the bedroom.

Currently I'm looking at the Fostex PM0.4 and the Behringer B1030. Both are studio monitors but from what I have been reading should also be good for near field listening.
I know that probably I could do better with individual components but honestly I prefer a simpler setup involving lesser fine-tuning/search for the right part.

Any other options I should look into?

Apr 20, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #2 of 8
Samson MediaOne 3a active studio monitor sound great especially for nearfield listening. I picked up a pair this past week and have been enjoying them alot. They have great tonal range with very smooth full bodied treble. They are just as detailed at very low volumes as they are at normal volumes. They are very positional when used for nearfield listening where sitting in front of them at low volumes sounds great but step away from them and all goes silent as if entering another building. They're not bass monsters by any stretch but it is there in a flat neutral way which is very satisfying when playing games like FALLOUT 3 and DIABLO 3.

The most detailed bookshelf speakers i have heard and they hardly take up any desk estate.

http://www.amazon.com/Samson-MediaOne-Precision-tuned-Powered-Monitors/dp/B0019R8U7I/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1366502069&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=samson+mediaone+3a

Apr 21, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #5 of 8
If you are worried about sourcing locally you may have more luck with a more global name such as KRK ADAM Genelec or Yamaha monitors.  I would also try to listen to them using your own source before buying if at all possible, either from a supplier with a good returns policy/home trial or take your source to a store.  Personally I took my DAC unit to the store with me and they were happy to add it to the chain to get a more accurate idea of individual speakers.

Apr 22, 2013 at 7:18 AM Post #6 of 8
I'm not overly concerned, but I don't want to ask a friend/colleague to lug around a big box when returning from the US…

From your recommendations ADAM has been a long time on my mind (way back before the A2) but outside what I consider a sane price range. KRK I find them too big and with Yamaha I always doubt price to quality ratio will be good.

You are right I should visit stores, but from what I have seen around Sydney the market caters the most to home audio and very little on speakers, plus most brands are overpriced beyond belief :wink:

Apr 22, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #7 of 8
Those are freaking beautiful!

Now I only need to figure out to get them to Australia… #sigh

Emotiva's Airmotivs are also available through their main website where they have a contact form for inquiring about international purchases: http://www.emotiva.com/faq/international_quote

Users who are viewing this thread

Back