Replacement for 325is.
Dec 6, 2011 at 12:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

oshia86

New Head-Fier
I've been using my Grado 325is with the Asus Essence ST. Lately I've found myself getting tired of the intense high's and mid's of this can, along with the comfort factor of them. One word keeps coming to mind, and that is fatigue, even at low/moderate listening levels. I want something that can handle a wider variety of music, and not just leave me only listening to 1/2 of my collection because those songs suit my gear. I mainly listen to country and rock. Lately I've been stuck replaying Adele's 21.

I find myself to like the increased mid/high range, and I am by no means a bass head. I just get fatigued so quickly with the 325is that I don't feel myself enjoying the music nearly as much.

So, with that said, I guess I am looking for a more comfortable well rounded can. I think $350 is about all I am wanting to put out now, being the Christmas season. I've done a lot of research on the HD650 today, and that seems to fit my description. I guess I should also say, that while these cans will replace the 325is for daily use, I will most likely still keep the Grado's, as a complimentary set, when I get in the mood for those.

Anyone else agree, or have any other recommendations?

Dec 6, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #2 of 9
hifiman he 300's?
i'm looking at either those or the he-4's atm.

how are u with your st soundcard?
I'm thinking about getting a st/stx.

Dec 6, 2011 at 1:14 PM Post #3 of 9
I don't think I've looked into those before. I admit, I still got a lot to learn with the headphone side of things, so I'll read up on them.

I really like the ST. It made a large difference even with the Grado's low 32ohm rating. Odd enough, the Grado's would even sound better with the amp turned up one notch (to the 64-300 ohm rating) vs just set to normal.

Dec 6, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #4 of 9
I would recommend the Sennheiser HD600. As far as I can tell the HD650 sounds a touch more warmer, but the HD600s are more balanced sounding. If the HD580s are anything to go by the HD600s should give you enough treble without being bright or sibilant at all. They are very very comfortable (though they clamp a little bit more), sound pretty neutral and are not fatiguing to listen to, but can be a bit boring with certain types of music, but for those genres you can bring out the Grado's :)

Dec 7, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #6 of 9
Have you tried the 325's with comfy pads?  Takes care of both the comfort issue (you have bended the headband, right?), and the fatiguing mids/highs IMO.

Or you could try the Alessandro MS2i's, which are basically a "mellower" version of the 325's.

I just recently owned and lived with the Sennheiser HD535, 555, 595, 600, and 650.  I don't know man, there is just something about Sennheiser highs that I don't like.  The "veil" that a lot of people talk about.

But I use Senn PX-100's for my portable set, so go figure.

Dec 29, 2011 at 7:57 AM Post #7 of 9
Just to update. Like I said before, I replaced the 325is with the HD650's and I now have a Nuforce HDP on the way. I returned the Essence ST, as that was just kind of the "gateway drug".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back