Replacement Flanges for Altec IM716
Mar 3, 2006 at 9:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

nonepoor

New Head-Fier
Hello, This is my first post, so please go easy on me.
rolleyes.gif

I just recently purchased my first set of IEM's, the Altec IM716's. I know the fit is important with IEM's and I wasn't able to get a good seal in one ear. Altec replacement flanges were impossible to locate, so I did not want to start cutting off segments of my triflange, as some have suggested in other posts.

I have obtained a set of Ety ER 6i flanges and can confirm that they are the exact same size as the IM716's, so if anyone needs replacement parts, the Etymotic ER 6i line is the correct one to use with the IM716's.

Mar 3, 2006 at 11:51 PM Post #2 of 2
Quote:

Originally Posted by nonepoor
Hello, This is my first post, so please go easy on me.
rolleyes.gif

I just recently purchased my first set of IEM's, the Altec IM716's. I know the fit is important with IEM's and I wasn't able to get a good seal in one ear. Altec replacement flanges were impossible to locate, so I did not want to start cutting off segments of my triflange, as some have suggested in other posts.

I have obtained a set of Ety ER 6i flanges and can confirm that they are the exact same size as the IM716's, so if anyone needs replacement parts, the Etymotic ER 6i line is the correct one to use with the IM716's.

Thanks for taking the time to post this information.

On another thread people have had less success finding replacement foam tips for the iM716s. The silicon tri-flanges are probably more adaptive than the tubes in the foamies. But at least we know we can get tri-flange replacements.

BTW- I found it difficult to seal one ear as well. Actually got to be painful to even try. Here are two possible solutions you may want to try (if you haven't already):
1. A tip from kwkarth, a very knowledgeable head-fi’er, who suggested Debrox. It is an earwax removal aid that can be found in most pharmacies. It contains glycerol, which is a good lubricant. Be careful to wipe off the excess. Adding too much may cause some to find its way into the filter and clog it.
2. As you mentioned, cut off the last flange. It worked wonders for me. It is still not quite the sonic level of the foamies, but closer, and without pain. But again, remember the tube (lumen) of the tip is shorter and wax may more readily find its way to the filter with these 'stubbies'. So try the Debrox first.

Thanks again for your post, and enjoy!

eggosmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back