Replacement earpads for Philips NC1?
Oct 11, 2018 at 4:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Parkhill

New Head-Fier
I've got a 2 year old pair of Philips NC1 phones. The leather covering the earpads is disintegrating - and i mean disintegrating, if I drop them around my neck, I have to wash my neck as it is covered in little black flecks. So I have to replace the pads, or at least the leather. Philips (Italy) said to get some universal pads, but that's not so helpful. Does anyone have any experience in changing these - what should I buy?

As for the NC1's themselves, they are good without being outstanding. Generally excellent build, and mostly I'm comfortable with the sound, but classical orchestral seems to come over as rather bassy. The noise cancelling is good. I use these when I'm traveling, which is probably only for a few days every 8-10 weeks, so to have the leather fall apart after such a limited use is a real problem, and I couldn't recommend them because of that.

For recent details of the product, see https://www.techradar.com/reviews/a...headphones/philips-fidelio-nc1-1284427/review

Mar 28, 2022 at 7:55 AM Post #3 of 4
Hi Crypticc

I ordered these https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B06Y6BYCP4/ from Amazon Italy (I live in Italy). Cost was good (€13) , arrived quickly, easy to fit, comfortable, although I preferred the original. These are obviously a cheaper. They change the sound a little of course (don't ask me how, I don't have a memory of the original sound). Again though, they don't last long, I had to re-order the pads last month. Is 3 years of little use what you would expect? Maybe my expectations are too high. I think that this may be the last time I order replacement pads. The NC1s are beginning to give a little electronic noise in certain conditions.

I bought Philips Fidelio X1s a few years ago, which were superb for the money. Again, I had to dump them because the pads gave out, with no easy way of replacing them.

Good luck!

I should add... 70mm diam.

Aug 20, 2022 at 5:28 AM Post #4 of 4
Sorry I never replied to say thanks.
My originals disintegrated after only being worn about 3 or 4 times over 5 years. Was bought 2015 for travelling on the plane, so clearly after a few holidays and then covid stopped all travel, I then opened the box earlier this year and the pads and headband spontaneously flaking apart.
planned obsolescence? Seems to happen alot with this fake leather finish, Surprised that people accept that and still buy the stuff.

Thanks
Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back