Replacement earpads for ATH M50 with larger earcup size
Jan 27, 2020 at 3:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

tasteful

100+ Head-Fier
Comfort and accuracy are both nice to have, but comfort is the more important consideration here. The earcups on the stock M50 are too small, so they sit on my ear instead of around my ear, causing a lot of discomfort. My cans are the original curly corded ones from about 10 years ago.

My primary use case will be monitoring microphone audio on VoIP calls and Loom videos and a bit of Spotify.

I've seen a few threads on this in the past, but I'm interested in some up to date recommendations. All answers are appreciated.

Jan 27, 2020 at 8:44 PM Post #2 of 5
Comfort and accuracy are both nice to have, but comfort is the more important consideration here. The earcups on the stock M50 are too small, so they sit on my ear instead of around my ear, causing a lot of discomfort. My cans are the original curly corded ones from about 10 years ago.

My primary use case will be monitoring microphone audio on VoIP calls and Loom videos and a bit of Spotify.

I've seen a few threads on this in the past, but I'm interested in some up to date recommendations. All answers are appreciated.

I don't have the M50, but I tried replacing my stock Audiotechnica M40X pads with Brainwavz HM5 pleather pads (angled), and they are way more comfortable, BUT the sound signature changes.

Earpads are extremely important to influence a can's sound signature and unfortunately my ATH M40X are used for mixing/monitoring purposes so I had to go back to the stock pads as the sound changed too drastically to be used for audio work. YMMV.

Apr 30, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #3 of 5
I don't have the M50, but I tried replacing my stock Audiotechnica M40X pads with Brainwavz HM5 pleather pads (angled), and they are way more comfortable, BUT the sound signature changes.

Earpads are extremely important to influence a can's sound signature and unfortunately my ATH M40X are used for mixing/monitoring purposes so I had to go back to the stock pads as the sound changed too drastically to be used for audio work. YMMV.

Hi, i m from argentina, this Is very interesting to me because i also use the m40xs for mixing, and hear about de hm5, un what way the sound change?

Apr 30, 2020 at 8:44 PM Post #4 of 5
Hi, i m from argentina, this Is very interesting to me because i also use the m40xs for mixing, and hear about de hm5, un what way the sound change?

I don't physically have the HM5 pads with me due to quarantine, but from what I recall, the mids and bass became recessed with the HM5 pads. Not ideal at all for mixing purposes with aftermarket pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back