replacement diodes for 1N4007
Jun 8, 2002 at 9:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

jarthel

500+ Head-Fier
My CD player is using these diodes in the power supply. Can someone suggest a better replacement? How about those high speed soft recovery diodes from Percy audio?

Thanks for the reply.

Jayel

Jun 8, 2002 at 12:13 PM Post #3 of 8
I posted this question in AA. But the more forums I post this question, the more replies I should get theoritically.

Also, this is head-fi and that is AA. Two distinct forums. There's a good chance that not all people here visit AA.

smily_headphones1.gif

Jayel

Jun 8, 2002 at 3:32 PM Post #4 of 8
Those types of diodes should work as replacements, as long as you find ones with proper voltage and current specs. You could probably find the FREDs at a local or domestic electronics supply company. Those brands at Percy Audio aren't especially rare or only for audio, so I don't think they'd be too hard to find. I bought mine from Digikey, for example.

Jun 8, 2002 at 9:40 PM Post #5 of 8
You could also just bypass those 1N4007 with say 680pF monolithic ceramic capacitors and get similar results with much less work (no desoldering and figuring out how to fit in TO-220 case instead of DO-41). Otherwise people typically replace rectifier diodes with "ultrafast recovery" and/or "ultrasoft recovery" diodes, but you can also use Schottky diodes. Just pay attention to rated voltage of the diode, which is especially critical for Schottkys.

Jun 12, 2002 at 10:18 AM Post #8 of 8
there are some verry good soft recovery diodes cheep that are 1 amp and 200 PIV in the1n line. but aos's capacitor method is easyest and shoul also be used with the Soft recovery types. a great test is put an AM transistor radio Battery power for no interenal noise souce and you will hear the reduction of switching noise as Prproduced by the radio, just tune to almost any non station point. AM radios pick up Rectifier niose quite well and that is why the diodes in almosall radios are cap bypassed. i myself use 470pF/500 Volt Silver Micas for this Task.

Adding an RFI filtor between the Transformer and the Diodes also prevent any remaining diode noise from getting back into the AC mains via the transformer, as well mas offer filtoring for incoming noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back