replacement decoder box
Aug 22, 2007 at 2:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

dimm0k

100+ Head-Fier
I currently have the Cambridge Soundworks DTT2500 speaker set and it sounds like the decoder box may be on the verge of death, while the speakers and subwoofer are still functional. I was looking to replace the box and came across the Creative Decoder DDTS-100, but that looks to be a discontinued product. Are there similar replacements out there?

Aug 23, 2007 at 2:12 AM Post #2 of 12
Aug 23, 2007 at 4:08 AM Post #4 of 12
Yeah it is dimm0k.

I'd like to jump on this train too. I just want something that can take optical signals from an XBox etc and give me 5.1 pre-outs, such as are offered on more expensive receivers. My setup is somewhat unique and I just don't need the amp part. That Creative almost looks spot on, but now its being scalped on eBay. Any -really- affordable solutions?

As an aside, it almost seems like my Auzen X-Meridian soundcard should do this with optical/spdif in, but I can't make it work...

Aug 23, 2007 at 4:35 AM Post #5 of 12
Not all receivers have a DAC, the one I linked to does.

Basically you need one with digital inputs, be they optical or coax.

Aug 23, 2007 at 4:51 PM Post #6 of 12
Being that I have a gift certificate to use up at Circuit City I was looking at three Denon receivers, specifically the AVR587, AVR687, and the AVR787. How do I know whether they include a DAC or no? Any idea which I should choose? I'm thinking the AVR587 because I don't need the video... how effective is the "auto-setup"?

Aug 23, 2007 at 5:20 PM Post #7 of 12
All three have optical and coax inputs so they have DAC's on board.

There isn't *that* big a price gap so I would go with the 687 or the 787 because they have an included calibration microphone that measures the acoustic properties at your listening position and automatically sets up the speakers for the right delay and volume. A very nice feature.

Keep in mind that any of the three are quite capable of blowing your little speakers in a heartbeat if you turn them up too far so go easy on the volume control.

Aug 26, 2007 at 6:48 AM Post #8 of 12
I was going to go with your suggestion of the 687 Denon, but realized things didn't work out well at the store so I picked up the Onkyo TX-SR575. This receiver seems to have almost the same feature set as the Denon... looks like a viable alternative.

Haven't tried out the receiver with all the speakers connected yet, but I connected one speaker to the receiver and turned on the radio. I had to get the volume up to 30+ to get a decent volume going. Any idea on this? Could it be the wires connecting the speaker and receiver need changing? The manual states the wires should have an impedance of between 6 and 16 ohms... how do I figure out that?

Aug 26, 2007 at 10:52 AM Post #9 of 12
Thirty plus out of how many?

Keep in mind that four speakers at the same volume is going to make it quite a bit louder.. And the sub is going to make it quite a bit louder too..

Where you have to put the volume control doesn't really matter as long as you are getting the sound quality and loudness that you want.

They might be sixteen (or even higher) ohm speakers, in which case you are indeed going to have to turn the volume up further to get the same amount of sound out of the speakers as you would if they were eight ohm. Four ohm speakers produce even more sound at the same volume setting, one of the reasons they are used in cars.

There are probably some people here who would like to know how it all works out, post back and let us know..

Aug 27, 2007 at 6:47 PM Post #10 of 12
While waiting for a mini stereo to RCA cable off of eBay to connect my notebook's soundcard to the receiver I did a little searching on the net to see if there was any details on the speakers for the DTT2500. Not much info at all, but there was one who mentioned that the speakers are have an impedance of 4 ohms. The site he quoted was off of CNet, but searches there have turned up empty. If these speakers are indeed 4 ohms, does it mean the wires connecting the speakers and receiver need to be changed?

Aug 28, 2007 at 1:37 AM Post #11 of 12
I wouldn't worry about the wires too much, if they worked OK with the previous decoder box they should be fine with the receiver.

The impedance readings (ohms) are for the speakers themselves, not for the wires.

Speaking entirely theoretically, lower impedance speakers want a larger diameter wire for the same amount of power in watts. Thats why you see high end car systems with massive cabling for the speaker leads.

With your little speakers though it won't make any audible difference to change to heavier wires, the receiver will have plenty of power to overcome any resistance the wires might have.

Sep 9, 2007 at 2:51 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheVinylRipper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are probably some people here who would like to know how it all works out, post back and let us know..

Finally received the cable, mini to RCA, to connect my computer to the receiver and I must say that it's working great! From the sound of it however when I have sound coming from the computer I need to set the volume at least 45+, but if I use the iPod dock to RCA with my iPod I need to lower the volume by almost 10 points to get the same level of volume. Only thing missing right now is my subwoofer...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back