Replacement cable for Super.fi Pro 5
Nov 28, 2008 at 2:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Jeff Guidry

Headphoneus Supremus
I've had these IEM's for a while and I like their sound, but the stiff cable is a pain and makes them unenjoyable. I have read a few threads explaining that their are replacements available, but it's hard to glean exactly the info I want from them.

So here are my interests. I want an Ultimate Ears Super.fi Pro 5 replacement cable that:

A) is less stiff than stock.

B) requires no modification.

I understand that the Westone cable is very "silky" compared with the stiff UE cable, but requires modification. I see that a custom replacement cable is available on the UE website, but can't quite figure out from threads here if it is less stiff than the stock cable. The Null Audio cable appears to be as stiff as stock so it is not an option unless someone indicates otherwise. I also see an Ebay seller awwan who sells a replacement cable, any info on its stiffness?

Thanks for any assistance.

P.S. SQ improvement would be a nice bonus, but comfort is most important.

Nov 29, 2008 at 12:25 AM Post #2 of 29
I bought some super.fi eb a few weeks ago and the cable that came with them was a little different than on my triple.fi. A little less stiff and the plug was straight instead of the angle. I liked it better so I switched it to my triples. Don't know if it's the newest cable from ue for all their cans or just eb...anyway, it's a tinge more flexible and I like it much better. My point being...maybe they are the new cables for ue..

Nov 29, 2008 at 2:56 PM Post #3 of 29
I went ahead and ordered the silver replacement cable from awwan on eBay. It appeared to be less stiff, and the silver ought to clean up some of the low end blurriness I've noticed in these. I might buy the UE replacement cable and see if it works any better and do a review on both.

Thanks.

Nov 29, 2008 at 10:52 PM Post #4 of 29
The UE custom replacement cable is very smooth and almost non-microphonic. I use them for my SF3 studio's, so they should work for the SF5 Pro also.

so be sure to order the CUSTOM cables, not the super.fi cables!

Nov 30, 2008 at 12:54 AM Post #5 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Guidry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I went ahead and ordered the silver replacement cable from awwan on eBay. It appeared to be less stiff, and the silver ought to clean up some of the low end blurriness I've noticed in these. I might buy the UE replacement cable and see if it works any better and do a review on both.

Thanks.

Interested to hear the impressions. The low end blur is also due to them being too sensitive and easy to drive. Some added impedance tightens up the bass nicely.

Nov 30, 2008 at 2:20 AM Post #6 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Guidry /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks.

I was looking at those cables on ebay, also the offerings from Null look nice.
Curious to hear your impressions on sq and rigidity on the awwan cable. Thanks.
Headphile808.

Dec 5, 2008 at 10:27 AM Post #7 of 29
I think I found the cable I want for my sf5pro - it's a cable UE are now using for triple.fi. It's much more flexible, microphonics are much better compare to a clear stiff sf5pro cable. The question now is where to buy it, advancedmp3players do offer a replacement UE black cable, but it seems to be the old type with an angled jack. New cable has a straight jack. Has anyone seen this new cable listed?

Dec 5, 2008 at 10:46 AM Post #8 of 29
There was a bit of talk about a lightly modified Westone cable on the UE IEMs. All you needed to do was cut down the pins a bit, and it should be the usual god-like Westone cable.

Dec 5, 2008 at 10:47 AM Post #9 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by fulham1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The UE custom replacement cable is very smooth and almost non-microphonic. I use them for my SF3 studio's, so they should work for the SF5 Pro also.

so be sure to order the CUSTOM cables, not the super.fi cables!

I always thought they would't fit UE pro 5's. Can anyone confirm ?

Dec 5, 2008 at 12:18 PM Post #10 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by cassper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think I found the cable I want for my sf5pro - it's a cable UE are now using for triple.fi. It's much more flexible, microphonics are much better compare to a clear stiff sf5pro cable. The question now is where to buy it, advancedmp3players do offer a replacement UE black cable, but it seems to be the old type with an angled jack. New cable has a straight jack. Has anyone seen this new cable listed?

I think the cable you are referring to, is one they are maybe putting on all ue universal iems now. I just bought some new eb's from earphone solutions about 1 month ago and they had the cable with the straight jack, more flexible and much better all around. I quickly switched it out for my triple.fi cable. Maybe if you email ue...they will tell how/where you could get one.

Sorry...I kinda repeated myself from above.... forgot I responded to this thread about the cable... oh well..

Dec 5, 2008 at 12:54 PM Post #11 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Del Griffith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the cable you are referring to, is one they are maybe putting on all ue universal iems now. I just bought some new eb's from earphone solutions about 1 month ago and they had the cable with the straight jack, more flexible and much better all around. I quickly switched it out for my triple.fi cable. Maybe if you email ue...they will tell how/where you could get one.

Sorry...I kinda repeated myself from above.... forgot I responded to this thread about the cable... oh well..

Done exactly that, I emailed UE if there is a chance to get it directly from them. The only problem I can see is that they may not ship to the UK. I'm glad you agree that these new cables are very good - no need to go for custom/modified ones me thinks.

Dec 7, 2008 at 10:43 AM Post #12 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by cassper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Done exactly that, I emailed UE if there is a chance to get it directly from them. The only problem I can see is that they may not ship to the UK. I'm glad you agree that these new cables are very good - no need to go for custom/modified ones me thinks.

Any pic on these cables ? And plz let us know wat UE told u
smily_headphones1.gif
smile_phones.gif

Dec 7, 2008 at 10:49 PM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by zaren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any pic on these cables ? And plz let us know wat UE told u
smily_headphones1.gif
smile_phones.gif

I got the reply back from UE. The only cable they have in stock is exactly that cable, black flexible with a straight connector. I have an impression that they discontinued all the other cables - they are out of stock everywhere, and they're replacing them with these cables. That would be brilliant, I've never seen anything as bad as sf5pro cables...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back