Replacement cable for HD650
Aug 2, 2005 at 8:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

flying dyn

New Head-Fier
I'm interested in opinions concerning a new cable for my headphones.
As I write these lines I'm listening to Sviatoslav Richter playing Schumann - with a little help from the Sennheisers connected to the X-Can V3 amp and the Meridian G08 cd-player (through the stock cable of course).
The amount of musical information and enjoyment I'm getting from this setup is extraordinary. Still, if I can get more ... I cannot look the other way.
Different reviews opened my interest towards Cardas, Silver Dragon or Stefan AudioArt Equinox. A priori I'd go for the Cardas, also due to availability (it's the only cable make I could buy from my country - Romania, the others do not have distributors for this part of the continent).
I'm very curious if the cable does make a difference and what that would be.
Specific and detailed answers would be apreciated. Thank you

Aug 2, 2005 at 8:55 PM Post #3 of 14
It's EMI. Now I've switched to Britten's cello suites (Warner)
icon10.gif

Aug 2, 2005 at 11:58 PM Post #4 of 14
All these cables add extra highs in HD650, tighten the bass a bit. Sound is getting some more air, more space. Is cable-changing worth of 200 bucks?

1. If you are very sensitive to highs, I would advise you not to change the cable at all. Stock cable is good enough for any kind of music.
2. If you are '' budget guy'', I would advise you not to change the cable. Cardas, Moon Audio, Equinox - all of them definitely overpriced. For that money I'd buy new cans
eggosmile.gif
If you are not 1 or 2 and like HD650 and want to improve them slightly, try Senns with new cable.
I prefer my cans with Equinox and stock cable to Cardas, Moon Audio and Oelbach (hate the last brand not only as headphone cable but also as interconnects and acoustic cable) mainly because of 1.

Aug 3, 2005 at 12:46 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Serge44
All these cables add extra highs in HD650, tighten the bass a bit.

I agree with this. I have a Zu Mobius and did brighten them to the point where they're just right for me.
Quote:

1. If you are very sensitive to highs, I would advise you not to change the cable at all. Stock cable is good enough for any kind of music.

You'd have to be extremely sensitive to highs for this to be the case. You wouldn't be able to wear RS-325s at all.
Quote:

2. If you are '' budget guy'', I would advise you not to change the cable. Cardas, Moon Audio, Equinox - all of them definitely overpriced. For that money I'd buy new cans .
If you are not 1 or 2 and like HD650 and want to improve them slightly, try Senns with new cable.

This is very good advice.

Aug 3, 2005 at 1:00 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by flying dyn
I'm interested in opinions concerning a new cable for my headphones.
As I write these lines I'm listening to Sviatoslav Richter playing Schumann - with a little help from the Sennheisers connected to the X-Can V3 amp and the Meridian G08 cd-player (through the stock cable of course).
The amount of musical information and enjoyment I'm getting from this setup is extraordinary. Still, if I can get more ... I cannot look the other way.
Different reviews opened my interest towards Cardas, Silver Dragon or Stefan AudioArt Equinox. A priori I'd go for the Cardas, also due to availability (it's the only cable make I could buy from my country - Romania, the others do not have distributors for this part of the continent).
I'm very curious if the cable does make a difference and what that would be.
Specific and detailed answers would be apreciated. Thank you

eek.gif
!! Nice source!

Anyways.. the Moon Audio Blue Dragon II improves on every aspect on the HD650 stock cable - most noticeably the soundstage. Totally worth the $175 I paid, for sure.

Aug 3, 2005 at 1:20 AM Post #7 of 14
Ditto what Serge44 said.

It always boils down to the same thing: if you believe that life is too short to drink cheap wine, then upgrade the cable for the (potentially nominal)improvements, and forget what it costs. If you are hording that $200US for something else precious (food, booze, DVDs, nice clothes) and cannot spare it, then be happy with what you have.

I'm definitely in the former bucket. In the scheme of things, the cost of my Zu cable is nothing compared to other life expenses. You have a nice CD source too...would be a pity to limit its potential. Ideally you could trial some cables to see what the difference was. Hope it works out.

Aug 3, 2005 at 6:27 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by jesse_w
I'd upgrade that amp long before a cable.

jesse

My thoughts too.
Put your money where it will make a real difference. Upgrade the amp first to go along with that nice CDP.

Aug 3, 2005 at 6:30 AM Post #10 of 14
Yeah wow.. I can't imagine the amount of improvement when upgrading from that X-Can with the Meridian to something like the Dynamight with the Meridian.. Jeez. (Or even a GS-1,
tongue.gif
)

Can we say "WOW OMGWTFBBQ" increase in performance?

Aug 3, 2005 at 9:43 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

What about the Blue Dragon? Being all copper, presumably it doesn't emphasize the highs so much? (My HD650's serve up plenty of those to my ears, esp. compared to my old HD600's.)

Cheers,
Jonathan.

Aug 3, 2005 at 6:04 PM Post #12 of 14
Make sure you get a 30 day no questions asked money back guarantee and do A/B testing with the new cable and the stock one. Don't be afraid to send it back if it doesn't improve the sound.

See ya
Steve

Aug 3, 2005 at 6:30 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Griffin
What about the Blue Dragon? Being all copper, presumably it doesn't emphasize the highs so much? (My HD650's serve up plenty of those to my ears, esp. compared to my old HD600's.)

Cheers,
Jonathan.

AFAIK silver emphasizes the highs, not copper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back