Replacement 9mm armature driver for dynamic IEMs
Oct 16, 2008 at 8:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

dfkt

Headphoneus Supremus
http://www.knowles.com/search/family..._sub_cat_id=10

SR.jpg

Quote:

SR Series Receiver

At 8.84mm diameter, the SR is the first round balanced armature receiver in the marketplace. SR offers output equivalent to the BK series and maximizes bass performance.
Features

* Round package
* Drop-in upgrade for moving coil dynamic speakers
* Designed for high volume production

Now this sounds interesting... I might try to replace the dynamic drivers in some cheap IEMs with that!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 16, 2008 at 8:19 PM Post #2 of 5
if it was an easy job we would all do it, the only problem is armature drivers have to be special to perform well alone, and although its an interesting idea and would be a great upgrade i doubt it would make basic earphones any better than mid range.

gotta say tho it would be a big wow if it could be pulled off and sound great. another downfall would be that putting a good armature in a cheap crappy set of phones would ruin the armature quality as the cheap housings of cheap phones wont do much justice to armatures.

although saying that...these armatures are designed for that arent they...hmmm interesting, this could catch on

Oct 16, 2008 at 8:57 PM Post #3 of 5
Yes, they are specifically designed for that application, replacement of dynamic drivers.

I tend to believe Knowles' claim of "maximize bass performance" (or at least decent full-range operation) because the physical size of that thing is way bigger than the single armatures used in, say, Sleek or Etymotic IEMs, or even the twin-armature in the q-Jays.

I was thinking specifically about the V-Moda Vibes as a target. For my ears they're the most comfortable IEMs, I love them while sleeping - but their drivers are getting a bit... soggy, due to constant use for two years. If that Knowles thing would be available in small quantities I'd be all over it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back