Replacement 595 cable
Jan 7, 2005 at 9:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Little J040

1000+ Head-Fier
Will changing my stock HD 595 cable really change how they sound that much????

Jan 7, 2005 at 9:44 PM Post #2 of 16
That's a loaded question. I say yes, but it's going to heavily depend on your source and amp. What source/amp are you using? The money you are budgeting towards a cable upgrade could be more wisely spent on a source/amp upgrade.

Jan 7, 2005 at 9:45 PM Post #3 of 16
More than likely i will be picking up a SR-71, and my source is mostly my ipod or computer. Would it be worth the money to get a new headphone cable if im getting the sr-71

Jan 7, 2005 at 9:57 PM Post #4 of 16
Just be careful with that cable spending, I would go for a smaller (30-40%) percentage of 595 price instead of expenisve ones. Some headfiers have totally different opinion on other models 580/600/650 cables and several had even gone back to stock cable.

Jan 7, 2005 at 9:57 PM Post #5 of 16
Well from what I understand about the HD-595, and aftermarket cable does exist, but it's not plug and play like the HD580/600/650. HeadRoom sells the 595 with the Cardas cable, but they probably do the install themselves.

One thing to keep in mind is that most all aftermarket cables are terminated with a 1/4th connector, while the SR-71 only accepts the 1/8th jacks. That means you'll have to use an adapter, which can be a pain. Personally, I don't think it's worth a cable upgrade, especially since you are using mp3's as your source. As the old Head-Fi addage goes..."Crap in, crap out!"

Not saying the iPod is crap, but your system will only sound as good as the weakest link, which happens to be the encoded files.

Jan 7, 2005 at 10:06 PM Post #6 of 16
Understandable, so your suggesting to not bother with a new cable then?

Jan 7, 2005 at 10:41 PM Post #7 of 16
Seems more like a marketing thing to me, than an actual improvement.

Headroom just wants to make money, because many people found something incredibly wrong with the HD595s (I'm one of them), and as a last resort, people try to improve them by modding them.

Granted, it may do something - but I doubt it's enough to warrant the purchase of these headphones. They can't be any better depth than the HD650s, and that is what this cable does best according to them. See their latest add in Stereophile.

Jan 8, 2005 at 3:48 AM Post #8 of 16
I for one, happen to love the sound of my 595 even with the stock cable. I have the 650s too BTW and I equally enjoy them both. As for the cable upgrade, I agree with others that you probably wouldn't benefit much with your current source.

merlock

Jan 8, 2005 at 6:01 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
Headroom just wants to make money, because many people found something incredibly wrong with the HD595s (I'm one of them), and as a last resort, people try to improve them by modding them.

True, headroom are in business to make money. But do you actually think "people who found something incredibly wrong with 595s" will pay another $400 to buy another pair with cable upgrade just to try to improve them??? Because, afaik they don't sell cable upgrade, they just sell upgraded headphones.

Jan 8, 2005 at 6:12 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by merlock
I for one, happen to love the sound of my 595 even with the stock cable. I have the 650s too BTW and I equally enjoy them both. As for the cable upgrade, I agree with others that you probably wouldn't benefit much with your current source.

Yes how can I forget that: at almost same price it would make little sense getting combo 595 with aftermarket cable instead of a stock 650. I too have + love them both and imo cable upgrade won't transform 595 into 650.

Jan 8, 2005 at 6:23 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by simplelife
True, headroom are in business to make money. But do you actually think "people who found something incredibly wrong with 595s" will pay another $400 to buy another pair with cable upgrade just to try to improve them???

Maybe he did actually try the cable upgrade as his last resort =)

It's interesting that the balanced cable 595 are priced higher than 650. Does headroom think they're even better than 650 ? Where are those good reviews when you need one ?
600smile.gif

Jan 8, 2005 at 8:28 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

This seems like a really odd statement. Following your logic here, the reason so many people upgrade the 580/600/650 cables is "because many people found something incredibly wrong" with them. Is this what you are implying?

Jan 8, 2005 at 11:50 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Seems more like a marketing thing to me, than an actual improvement.

Granted, it may do something - but I doubt it's enough to warrant the purchase of these headphones. They can't be any better depth than the HD650s, and that is what this cable does best according to them. See their latest add in Stereophile.

Bah.
rolleyes.gif

Jan 8, 2005 at 12:22 PM Post #15 of 16
Headphile.com has a HD5x5 cable available but it kind of seems funny because the cable has a sub-mini jack in the headphone end. At least this PDF tells that the HD5x5 series has something completely different. I personally wouldn't mind Larry advertising his product here a bit
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back