Replace the battery or replace the iPod?
Mar 26, 2009 at 12:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

wesmalo

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone.

I have a 4gb Gen 2 iPod Mini. The battery, as you can guess, doesn't hold a charge very well. I am getting a couple of hours out of it. This is leading to other problems as well that require the iPod to be reset. I am guessing that these problems are occurring due to the battery but ...

So, should I replace the battery, about $35.00 CDN, or should I replace the iPod with something like a Sansa Clip, about $80.00 CDN (give or take)?

Will I gain any sound quality by switching?

Any other benefits to switching?

Other choices for the switch?

I have no real need for video only for something robust enough for taking to the gym or outside for workouts.

Thanks for the help.

Wes

Mar 26, 2009 at 1:45 PM Post #2 of 9
hehe i replaced by Gen 2 iPod Mini like 2 years ago :p i still use the mini for gym since it has an clip.

if just for music the sansa clip cant get much better than that.

Mar 26, 2009 at 1:58 PM Post #3 of 9
I am not sure of the comparison of quality from the Mini to the Clip, so hopefully someone can explain, but I love my Mini. I put a new battery in and replaced the HDD with a 32gb CF drive, and rockboxed it. Its compact, plays my flac files, has a pretty decent battery life, and I think with a LOD sounds pretty good through my amp. The clip may be easier for ease of use.

You can buy a new battery off Ebay for about $10. It comes straight from Hong Kong, but it works pretty well, and comes with all the tools to open it up.

Mar 26, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by smrtby123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not sure of the comparison of quality from the Mini to the Clip, so hopefully someone can explain, but I love my Mini. I put a new battery in and replaced the HDD with a 32gb CF drive, and rockboxed it. Its compact, plays my flac files, has a pretty decent battery life, and I think with a LOD sounds pretty good through my amp. The clip may be easier for ease of use.

You can buy a new battery off Ebay for about $10. It comes straight from Hong Kong, but it works pretty well, and comes with all the tools to open it up.

Just bought one for my mini for $4.99...I may try to install a CF card as well. Thanks for the idea -

Mar 27, 2009 at 10:26 PM Post #7 of 9
in my ipod classic the battery is also very weak..a few hours and its done.
this is a major issue for me. it's good that i have also cowon d2. don't need to charge it for days! really great bettery and sound. (the i7 is also has great battery even more than thet d2,and it sound amazing too).

my suggetion is.move on to cowon.

Mar 29, 2009 at 8:21 AM Post #8 of 9
Get an extended battery while you're at it. Make sure you sort based on lowest price for price+shipping if you buy from ebay. I got great prices on the parts I used for my iPod repairs even though they came from Hong Kong because they offered free shipping + lower prices.

Mar 29, 2009 at 8:52 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
in my ipod classic the battery is also very weak..a few hours and its done.
this is a major issue for me. it's good that i have also cowon d2. don't need to charge it for days! really great bettery and sound. (the i7 is also has great battery even more than thet d2,and it sound amazing too).

my suggetion is.move on to cowon.

x2 unless you own a mac. idk but cowon does not sync well with mac. ithink mac is archiving the data of cowon or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back