Replace power cord on NAD amp?
Aug 6, 2006 at 2:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

happyangryhappy

100+ Head-Fier
I want to replace the thin old fixed power cord on an older NAD amplifier (2155) with a new quality cord, but wanted to ask if it would be OK first. I have DIY'ed speakers and other small electronics but I haven't touched something like this. So, could I just wire a chassis power jack and plug into the back of the amp, or would it be better to cut the cord and hard wire inside? And - if done right - would this be OK, or are there other concerns?
Thanks.

Aug 6, 2006 at 10:48 AM Post #2 of 4
Why? While you're at it replace all the cables in your house, in the main electrical grid etc. It makes no sense to me, and commercial power cables are an outright scam!

In response to your question, yes you need to use a power cable rated for your country's safety spec as a minimum. Also make sure you preserve the Live / Neutral polarity. On some amps it does not matter, others only switch of one of the rails when you hit the power button and you want that to definitely be the Live one.

Aug 6, 2006 at 11:46 PM Post #4 of 4
Ahhh an electrical reason. This is probably the first time where replacing a mains cord on an amp makes any sense.
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back