Replace iPod or buy a new one? Need advice....
Jan 15, 2008 at 12:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

SawaFish

100+ Head-Fier
Hey,

I recently tried to build an iPod LOD myself but that didn't work out; my iPod connecter has glue on the pins and doesn't work anymore.
mad.gif

I went to the Apple Store and they said I could:
A. Replace my 5.0th Generation 30GB with a complete new one for 125 euros, or
B. Buy a new one, I'm thinking about the 5.5th Generation 80GB classic iPod for 250 euros
Since I have difficulty to decide what's wisest I'd like to hear your view on my problem.
confused.gif

Cedric

Jan 15, 2008 at 12:39 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by SawaFish /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey,

I recently tried to build an iPod LOD myself but that didn't work out; my iPod connecter has glue on the pins and doesn't work anymore.
mad.gif

I went to the Apple Store and they said I could:
A. Replace my 5.0th Generation 30GB with a complete new one for 125 euros, or
B. Buy a new one, I'm thinking about the 5.5th Generation 80GB classic iPod for 250 euros
Since I have difficulty to decide what's wisest I'd like to hear your view on my problem.
confused.gif

Cedric

Does it still charge?

Jan 15, 2008 at 12:43 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does it still charge?

No, it can do everything as it should do except that the connector doesn't work. So it won't charge, I can't get new music on it. Once the battery runs out of power it'll be useless, I can try to get the glue off of the connector pins but I doubt if that'll work.

Jan 15, 2008 at 1:17 PM Post #4 of 9
Jan 15, 2008 at 2:58 PM Post #5 of 9
I can ofcourse buy a new mainboard with extra battery life at rapidrepair but that'll cost probably even more than replacing my ipod for 125 euros since I don't want to install it myself. I'm better off with a new iPod in that case I think.

(replacing my iPod means I get a totally new one which is the same model as I have right now)

Jan 15, 2008 at 7:31 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by SawaFish /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can ofcourse buy a new mainboard with extra battery life at rapidrepair but that'll cost probably even more than replacing my ipod for 125 euros since I don't want to install it myself. I'm better off with a new iPod in that case I think.

(replacing my iPod means I get a totally new one which is the same model as I have right now)

I thought they did the service for free if you buy the parts.

Jan 15, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought they did the service for free if you buy the parts.

I checked and they do service for free, no extra costs when selecting RapidRepair installation. But it'll cost about 95 euro, plus shipping costs of the iPod to them and back to me. And if I replace my iPod I get the same result but all parts are new then and my iPod is scratch free again and I'll get three months warranty. If it was cheaper I'd considered it but now it's not really worth it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HardHeadCase /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why cant you get the glue off the pins?

I did some research and found out that aceton should do the job, so I'm going to buy some nailpolishremover tommorrow to check if it'll work
redface.gif
. I don't have much hope it'll work though... 'Industrialpowerglue' isn't that easy to remove I guess.

Somebody got some tips on how to remove glue? (it's made from 'acrylaat')

Edit: I managed to remove the glue from the pins and the iPod works completely fine now!
biggrin.gif
Thanks though for the advices!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back