Replace HD650's?
Sep 17, 2008 at 12:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

cantdrive55

New Head-Fier
So right now I'm listening through some HD650's but am looking to possibly upgrade since my dad is looking for some headphones and I'd just give him mine. anyways, for the most part I just listen to mp3's through my desktop but also use them for late night gaming on my xbox 360.

Recommendations??

Sep 17, 2008 at 12:55 AM Post #4 of 15
Wow, your HD650 were under powered. Try something with low impedance if you are going to run them straight out of the sound card in your pc/xbox. Maybe a Grado/Alessandro if they "sparkle" with your music interest.

Sep 17, 2008 at 1:02 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by cantdrive55 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the most part its just through my desktop pc's soundblaster audigy se card, and the rest of the time its through my xbox 360 direct through rca cable.

In that case, I think upgrading to a dedicated amp (and a better source, if possible at all with the Xbox 360) is a better idea than upgrading the phones. You are not hearing the Senns at its potential. Unless your dad really wants that HD-650 for himself and/or you are craving for new toys, you'd be hard-pressed to find a replacement as accomplished (and as demanding on ancillary equipments) as the HD-650.

Cheers!

Sep 17, 2008 at 2:56 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by notoriousmatty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
would running these through a surround sound receiver make any difference. Its high end and im looking to purchase these phones as well.

Like a headphone out port? It might sound better than straight out of the sound card, but probably nothing out of this world. Get a headphone amp, they are made to amplify headphones and they'll lift your hd650 out of its underpowered grave. You could upgrade your source too (like an external DAC), it'll dramatically change the sound.

Sep 17, 2008 at 8:28 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Woobies /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow. HD-650s unamped.... Somebody give this boy an amp!

A reasonable price headphone amp can also drive the HD650 better than by a soundcard, ie. Little Dot & Darkvoice are good in C/P value for HD650.

Sep 17, 2008 at 11:21 AM Post #10 of 15
When u have HD650 u dont upgrade..u either Downgrade or get new Amps or DACs.

Currently HD650 is the Flagship of Sennheiser.

Sep 17, 2008 at 11:37 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

When u have HD650 u dont upgrade..u either Downgrade or get new Amps or DACs.

Currently HD650 is the Flagship of Sennheiser.

He didn't say he want to upgrade to Sennheiser, there're other brands around...

Sep 17, 2008 at 11:54 AM Post #12 of 15
Have you been happy with the HD650 so far?
If you are not planning to get an amp, better source etc... and spend a lot of cash I would downgrade to a multipurpose easy to drive headphones. If you like the Sennheiser sound signature then a HD595 would be a better choice for your purposes. The HD280 is a good multipurpose headphones and it is closed so nice for portable, recording and gaming use in noisy environment. There are tons of other choices and they all cheaper than the HD650 and better suited for your needs.

If your dad is a Hi-fi/Music enthusiast and listens to quality recordings (not 128-192 MP3s) from a decent source (better than XBOX) than an amp should be considered for the HD650.

Sep 18, 2008 at 12:27 AM Post #13 of 15
I like the 650's but there are times when I feel that they sound kind of muffled. I guess since I don't have any amp thats why. Which do you think is a better idea? A cheap ($100) amp or just getting the 595's or 280's?

Most of the music I'm listening to is 192-242 mp3/wma.

Sep 18, 2008 at 3:04 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by notoriousmatty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how do hook up a headphone amp to a receiver? There are many sources going into this receiver.

Does the receiver have 'tape out' rcas? If so connect those to head-amp and you will get whatever input you select through the receiver.

BTW i think the OP should definitely get rid of the HD 650's. Nothing but trouble if you ask me. I'll PM my postal address and you send 'em over asap. problem solved!
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back