Replace HD 600's with which Closed Can?
Oct 27, 2004 at 4:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Tyson

Headphoneus Supremus
Due to my environment at home, I have to sell my HD600's and get something closed. I'm pretty picky about sound quality, specifically I like headphones that are:

non-sibilant
smooth tonal balance
good bass
detailed

Cans that I've had and what I liked and didn't like about them:

Senn HD280 - a bit sibilant over time and somewhat artificial sounding

Sony V6 - WAY too sibilant and out of proportion bass

AKG K271s - Nice tonal balance, non-sibilant, but weak in the bass

Beyer DT250-250 - best closed cans I've used, good balance, non-sibilant, nice bass. I still have these, but wondering if anything else is a step up from them

Beyer DT770Pro - Too much bass, too sibilant, recessed mids.

Sony CD3k - again, way too sibilant

Ultrasone 700 - even more artificial sounding than the Senn HD280's.

So, there you have it, any suggestions? Oh, and no canalphones, I already have the Sensaphonic 2x-s.

Oct 27, 2004 at 4:51 PM Post #2 of 21
You didn't mention the Audio Technica A500/900, so I think those are worth looking into. I know there are a few good reviews floating around, and I can't seem to find Lindrone's at the moment...But yeah, I've always heard great things about both cans.

Oct 27, 2004 at 5:41 PM Post #3 of 21
Maybe give the K271 another shot. As you know, I was not impressed with your K271 at the Denver meet last year but since getting them in May this year I have been quite happy with them. Admittedly they still do not have as much bass as the HD600 but it is more than adequate for me. Heck, last night they had a bit too much bass when I stuck in a Sylvania driver tube and Electro-Harmonix outputs in my PPX3. I asked Todd (TTVJ) about a closed alternative to the HD600 and the K271 were what he suggested and I haven't regretted it at all.

Oct 27, 2004 at 5:59 PM Post #4 of 21
Senn HD 25-1s. Ignore the catcalls sure to follow. Excellent neutral cans, with good tonal balance. Narrow (as in between the ears) soundstage, but that's pretty much a feature of well sealed closed headphones. Great value when found under $150.

Oct 27, 2004 at 6:27 PM Post #5 of 21
I think the general buzz around here is that you go with the hd25-1 if you need a closed portable can. If you don't need to be portable, you can do a lot better than the hd25-1.

Oct 27, 2004 at 6:51 PM Post #7 of 21
remember, you can use any Sennheiser aftermarket cable with the HD25-1 as well, which should improve things. Plus don't forget the A900.

Oct 27, 2004 at 6:53 PM Post #8 of 21
How about AKG K271s with PPA bass-boost or a digital EQ?

Oct 27, 2004 at 6:59 PM Post #9 of 21
I do not recommend the HD 25 for home use. With the Headphile cable for the HD 25-1 it is on par with a Grado SR-225 and depending on your tastes you may prefer one or the other. I have A/B-ed both for some weeks and cannot declare a clear winner. However, the cable costs 100, the headphone costs 150-180.

Nevertheless, you have listed preferences which are not in favour of the HD 25:
The HD 25 is quite sespectible to sibilance that is on the recording. By itself it is not necessarily sibilant.
The HD 25 is not(!) smooth. This headphone plays the notes with force (more than the Grado SR-225).

If you didn't say that you have already owned the AKG 271, I would have suggested those.

I'd say the only closed headphone (I can think of) which you have not yet tried is the A900.

What about adding some Headphile woodies to the HD 600?

Oct 27, 2004 at 7:08 PM Post #10 of 21
Looks like the A900s are going to be my next can (I've already got woodies for the senns, still not enough isolation, and makes them too bright after listening to them for a few weeks). Thanks all.

Oct 27, 2004 at 7:17 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson
Looks like the A900s are going to be my next can (I've already got woodies for the senns, still not enough isolation, and makes them too bright after listening to them for a few weeks). Thanks all.

Could you tell a bit more about the HD 600 with woodies?

And please share some thoughts on the a900 once you get them. I'd be interested how they stack up against the akg 271.

Oct 27, 2004 at 7:17 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson
Due to my environment at home, I have to sell my HD600's and get something closed. I'm pretty picky about sound quality, specifically I like headphones that are:

non-sibilant
smooth tonal balance
good bass
detailed

The reason you want closed is because you want isolation from outside noise or because you don't want to disturb others ?
(There's a large difference in isolation from outside noise between closed 'phones.)
The few headphones (which are "mainstream" i.e. not made for race cars etc.) which offers the most isolation from outside noise is the HD280 and HD25-1 and HD25-SP. I wouldn't call the HD25-1 neutral exactly as it IMO has sibilance, treble is more stressed and hard/cold and has a closed-in sound. I think it will be hard to do much better at it's $170 asking price, portability in mind or not - but of course, tastes fortunately differ greatly so only you can tell if it's crappy/good.
smily_headphones1.gif

My recomendation: Keep the DT250-250, you just answered your own question; to you there is no step up and you said you were happy with their sound. The DT150 is said to have a more dry sound than DT250-250, but it has a very nice sound to it - very balanced and detailed but found it too boring in the end.

Oct 27, 2004 at 7:37 PM Post #13 of 21
If the A900 is anything like the A500 (which has been said to be the case), then you may not be happy with its isolation or freq response. I found the A500 did not isolate that much. It was also the most sibilant of the headphones I've owned (check my profile) and has a peaky freq response. Not smooth like the Senns. I am quite sensitive to brightness however, so while the A500 was a bit much for me, it may be fine for you, and perhaps the A900 is better in this regard anyway.

Oct 27, 2004 at 8:07 PM Post #14 of 21
I agree with slindeman--if you're looking for isolation from external sounds in the environment I don't think the A900s will isolate enough for you (but they'll still do a good job of isolating others from the sound of the phones--as all closed phones do). If you need phones for isolation from environmental sounds (that aren't IEMs) I'd say only the K271, HD25-1, HD280 and the higher-end Ultrasones would fit the bill. Having listened to all of them (well, with only the Trackmaster representing the higher-end Ultrasones) my picks would be the K271 with the runner up being the HD25-1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back