Repeatedly switching cables with the Senn HD800
Oct 13, 2013 at 9:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

JeffA

100+ Head-Fier
Folks,
I use a Senn HD800 in my reference rig, in a balanced configuration. I am now putting together a portable/transportable system. If I decide to use the HD800 for the portable system, I will have to use a different (unbalanced) cable. That means I would have to frequently switch cables as I move the HD800 from the reference system to the portable system. I am concerned that repeated cable switching will eventually wear down the cable connector on the headphones such that they no longer provide a secure fit. Does anyone have any experience with doing a lot of cable switching with the HD800s? If so, did the switching damage the integrity of the connection fit?

Oct 13, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #2 of 9
What does balanced really do for you? Can you attest any of this with real technical reasoning? The real purpose of balanced is twofold.
1) Microphones with high gain and long runs of cable. Not a problem with headphones.
2) Split amplification with independent grounds, not really necessary for headphones.
Oops Threefold:
3) Squeeze money out of trusting Audiophiles that would better be spent on more or better cans or more useful gear.

I'm an EE and have designed very sensitive instrumentation systems, analog computers as well as audio gear. I have no interest in filling my pockets with your money.

Oct 13, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #3 of 9
  What does balanced really do for you? Can you attest any of this with real technical reasoning? The real purpose of balanced is twofold.
1) Microphones with high gain and long runs of cable. Not a problem with headphones.
2) Split amplification with independent grounds, not really necessary for headphones.
Oops Threefold:
3) Squeeze money out of trusting Audiophiles that would better be spent on more or better cans or more useful gear.

I'm an EE and have designed very sensitive instrumentation systems, analog computers as well as audio gear. I have no interest in filling my pockets with your money.

What's the point of arguing whether or not balanced headphones makes a difference? The guy just wanted to know if it is safe to swap cables on a regular basis.

@OP, you can always just use a balanced to SE adapter as well.

Oct 13, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #4 of 9
The amp I like and am using in my reference system (the Mjolnir) only has balanced outputs. I sit 20 feet away from the amplifier. For at least these reasons, I have a balanced cable for my reference system. The purpose of my post is to find out whether switching cables will wear down the connection on the HD800. I would greatly appreciate if anyone could provide feedback on that question based on experience. We can leave the balanced vs. unbalanced debate for another time.

Oct 13, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #5 of 9

What's the point of arguing whether or not balanced headphones makes a difference? The guy just wanted to know if it is safe to swap cables on a regular basis.

@OP, you can always just use a balanced to SE adapter as well.

As mentioned in an earlier post, the cable in my reference rig is 20 feet. I want the cable for the portable rig to be short (5 feet or less). That eliminates an adapter as a solution.

Oct 13, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #6 of 9
  The amp I like and am using in my reference system (the Mjolnir) only has balanced outputs. I sit 20 feet away from the amplifier. For at least these reasons, I have a balanced cable for my reference system. The purpose of my post is to find out whether switching cables will wear down the connection on the HD800. I would greatly appreciate if anyone could provide feedback on that question based on experience. We can leave the balanced vs. unbalanced debate for another time.

I was opening the thought of using unbalanced throughout and not having to worry about wearing out the HP connection. If you already are invested and enjoy your gear it's a moot point.

Oct 14, 2013 at 2:08 AM Post #9 of 9
You can cut the headphone cable down to portable size, put a 4pin mini-xlr on that, then use a long mini-xlr to xlr for desktop and a small mini-xlr to 3.5mm for portable. That way you just disconnect the mini-xlr, it's made for that. Problem solved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back