repairs for ppa
May 17, 2006 at 2:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ltgem612

New Head-Fier
I have a home maxed out ppa built by Chris Patterson(Itzbitz) which has stopped working after experiencing a power surge. Everything looks ok, nothing burnt and no smell but it does not power on or work.
Does anyone know how to repair these things or could anyone steer me to somebody who does. Love the sound of this amp and would like to get it operational but I have no skill or knowledge so someone will have to assist.
gary
majoros, ltgem@msn.com thanks I have looked for a
fuse and do not see anything anywhere including around the steps power supply. I am currently in Ohio but will soon be in Florida for the summer. I could mail the amp anywhere in the US for repairs.

May 17, 2006 at 2:59 PM Post #2 of 8
It would be helpful to know where in the world you are.

Also, the STEPS is probably equipped with a fuse either on board or in the IEC inlet. I would check that first.

Nate

May 17, 2006 at 9:23 PM Post #3 of 8
hey, do you have a voltmeter perchance? if you don't have any electronics equipment, you would be better off asking someone to repair it.. If I have time, I could try it, but if it requires extensive repairs (like dead transistors) I'm not replacing any of those.. I'm thinking its just either fuse, LM317 or diode..

if you have a voltmeter, check the outputs on the STEPS, should read +24V ref'd to ground.

Good luck!

May 17, 2006 at 10:10 PM Post #4 of 8
It'd also be good to know whether that's a v1.x or a v2.0 unit.

May 18, 2006 at 7:30 PM Post #5 of 8
Thanks for the help. Problem found, solved, ppa is now alive and well.
Was blown fuse in the IEC When I started using the suggestion to check with a voltmeter I found no current coming out of the IEC socket so checking further I found there was actually a fuse built in to that receptacle. Now while I feel alittle foolish for not checking more carefully initially at least I know.

May 18, 2006 at 7:40 PM Post #6 of 8
Great news! enjoy
580smile.gif

May 18, 2006 at 7:52 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by ltgem612
Now while I feel alittle foolish for not checking more carefully initially at least I know.

Pffff, I've done dumber
biggrin.gif

May 18, 2006 at 8:20 PM Post #8 of 8
Not foolish at all. You've learned something in the process, so that's great!

ehm....while you're here, poke around, ask some other questions. Since you have a voltmeter, you might consider building an amp yourself. Maybe something more portable...Of course, I'm no better than a crack dealer at this point...

Oh well, welcome!
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back