Repairing old HD-414 headphones
Dec 29, 2009 at 11:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

pimfram

Head-Fier
Being the curious person I am, I wanted to compare my father's old HD-414s to my SR225is. Soon thereafter, I realize the right driver is producing no sound
frown.gif
Apparently they quit working a while ago, and he hasn't messed with them. Is this more likely a cable issue or a driver issue? I see there are replacement cables available for a reasonable price (~30 bucks), and I think they'd be worth that. I have tried removing the right side cable but it seems to either be stuck or I need to to something aside from yanking on it, for it to be removed.

Any insight toward either issue would be appreciated.

Dec 29, 2009 at 11:14 PM Post #2 of 16
Most probably the cable failed. You already found the replacement I see. You can remove the old cable by pulling the plugs out. Hold the plug in one hand and the housing in the other and pull it straight out. Sometimes it takes some force.

Dec 29, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #3 of 16
Holy crap. I would never have imagined it would take so much force! I have some nice marks on my hands from warping the cable around my hand and pulling as hard as I could.

Is it really worth the money to spend $40 on new pads and new cable on these? I know they are not exactly stellar by today's standards, but they sounded good last time I listened to them a few years ago. Maybe he'd like a new set of SR60is or something.

Dec 30, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #4 of 16
If they are the original HD414 they sound pretty good, even for today's standards, but they are rather difficult to drive because they are a whopping 2000 Ohm impedance....
They are also a piece of headphone history: they were the first open headphones on the market.

Dec 30, 2009 at 12:27 AM Post #5 of 16
Yeah, I saw the independence was 2000. No wonder my onboard audio couldn't power them worth a damn. I'm going to go ahead and fix them up, should be a nice late Christmas gift.

Dec 30, 2009 at 9:34 AM Post #6 of 16
I've some 424s which is much the same but with different housing and pads, they sound pretty OK driven from the speaker terminals of an amp. With lesser amplification there's no bottom end to speak of, with strong amplification they improve. They're fun, but I don't use them much.

Jan 23, 2010 at 2:53 AM Post #7 of 16
I got the replacement cable today (backorder takes a while, apparently) and the left driver is still dead. I really hate to throw these away, especially since I was fixing them up for my father. Anyone have any info on how to repair or know anyone who would repair these? It doesn't look like there is any easy way to open them up and take a look inside.

Jan 23, 2010 at 3:01 AM Post #8 of 16
you dont want to take them apart.

have you tried hooking them up backwards? IE left cable tip into OTHER cup.

are you 100% sure you have the tips in the right way 'round? are they set all the way in there?

The 414's in 2000ohms are actually nicer than many people give credit for. If these are not salvagable they come around on ebay all the time.

Jan 23, 2010 at 3:21 AM Post #9 of 16
Yeah, definitely hooked in the right way, the channels are different sizes. I did take them apart and have no idea what I'm looking at. Seems like a red hair-like wire is connected to a small wire terminal on each side. Way over my head, connecting them directly to a source doesn't work, either. I'll see if I can get some pics taken and hope for the best.

Jan 23, 2010 at 3:48 AM Post #10 of 16
Jan 23, 2010 at 4:48 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If they are the original HD414 they sound pretty good, even for today's standards, but they are rather difficult to drive because they are a whopping 2000 Ohm impedance....
They are also a piece of headphone history: they were the first open headphones on the market.

Yes.. Definatly a collectors item. I'd like one to go along with the first closed headphones on the market..

Jan 23, 2010 at 4:54 AM Post #12 of 16
I have vintage headphones from the 50's-80's.. Never had a driver problem. It's always the cable. Had to get 2 of my DT48a recabled. 1 340.And my DT480 needs a recable. And why 2,000 ohms???

Jan 23, 2010 at 5:41 AM Post #13 of 16
Was talking with a guy from work, mentioned something about Sennheiser, he said he owned an old pair, thinks they're the 414.
What's a fair price on these. Want to make him an offer, but he's good people so wouldn't want to screw him.
Hey Kool, let me know what, if any, changes in the sound sig for the 480's you notice after the recable. Been meaning to do one myself, but only got as far as re-terminating to a mini as I primarily use it on my laptop. (sound surprisingly good from a bad source!)

Jan 23, 2010 at 6:32 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by dclancy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Want to make him an offer, but he's good people so wouldn't want to screw him.

I would offer between $50 and 80 he will be superhappy to have cashola for something he dosnt care about, you will be at least decently happy to have a neat headphone.

Many of the newer cables (cardas, I think newer HD580/650) fit the 414, which is good because the stock 414 cable is about the worst cable ever made.
im000314rdr7.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back