Repairing / Modding a pair of Sony MDR 7506s NOOB project. Come on in...
Oct 6, 2011 at 11:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4
So I've got this pair of MDR 7506's. I haven't had them very long, but unfortunately the padding has come off from both ears, and the jack has bent out of shape. Has to be jiggled to play in both ears. It probably needs replacing.

Besides that, the frame, the cones, everything else still works. The sound isn't too bad.

I figure that: rather than springing for another set of headphones, it might be fun to try to get some new pads, and replace the jack myself. Get myself some original, hand-customised phones for a fraction of the price or replacing them.

TOTAL DIY noob here, though, so would love some advice from my head-fi comrades.

Where do I even find pads that will fit? Can I get others (better ones) and mod them to fit? What about different colours? I thought a white or grey pad on my black frames might look pretty sweet.

What about replacing the jack? Is that a wire cutting / splicing / soldering job? Any ideas / suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

I'm expecting to screw this up as a first-timer, but what the hell these phones are pretty much wrecked anyway.

Thanks all. Loving all the great reads on head-fi

Oct 7, 2011 at 10:38 AM Post #3 of 4
So, I've made a little progress. For the Pads I've found:

Beyerdynamic DT 250 velour pads : http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=313962&is=REG

These can replace the original Sony pads. I've found a few links to the BD pads, and a few to something called the BD pad 'hygiene kit' which seems to include some foam, too.

For colouring, I've read that vinyldye is supposed to be good. Will probably try to do them in Black and Gold. Not sure if you can dye velour.

No progress on the recabling yet.

Oct 8, 2011 at 2:31 AM Post #4 of 4
Well tools you will need for the recable are a drill, a lighter, a soldering iron, desoldering braid and solder. I'd avoid techflex unless these are listening headphones not portable. It adds durability but you can hear every cable movement and its quiet annoying. You need to drill a hole in the bottom of the right cup because your not going to be able to thread a wire through the head band unless your really really good. Supplies will be wire, a jack, and heat shrink. You can use a lighter to shrink heat shrink but I recommend short bursts so your don't burn your heat shrink. You can buy Mogami or Canare cable but it really depends on your use case. As for jack, also dependent on use case, but chances are your unplugging and plugging a lot so you will need a nickel plated jack. Gold just scrapes off eventually exposing the nickel plating... Just save money and skip the step. You won't experience better sound with gold unless your never going to unplug.
Post up what your using these for and I can give you a list of parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back