Repairing Linum BaX cable?
Sep 9, 2015 at 7:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

koike

100+ Head-Fier
Mine broke at the connector and I resoldered it to an oyaide mini stereo plug.
It seems like there is no ground, so I followed suit. All connections are as it supposed to be but there is no sound.
Anyone have any idea of the connections?
Thanks in advance.

Eugene

Sep 9, 2015 at 8:56 AM Post #3 of 16
Hey Peter, I've made sure there's no short.
I'm sure there's a ground connection. But I can't seem to find it. BaX has 2 cables only.

Sep 9, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #4 of 16
Hey Peter, I've made sure there's no short.
I'm sure there's a ground connection. But I can't seem to find it. BaX has 2 cables only.

Hmm. It'd either be that or they aren't connected at all, which I'm sure isn't the case. Are you sure it's the 3.5mm connector side?

Peterek is my last name :wink:

Sep 9, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #5 of 16
sorry about messing up your name!
It is most definitely the 3.5mm connector side. It broke clean off.

Sep 9, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #6 of 16
I was sent one of these cables to work on and It turns out that they twist the signal and ground together in one dielectric sleeve.

You basically have to strip the cable, then go through every single freaking thread, and sort out the signal from the ground. Otherwise you'll have a short.

BASICALLY, it's not worth the time it would take to repair the damn thing unless you have really tiny tweezers and a couple of hours of patience.

Sep 9, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #7 of 16
Damn. That was what I was afraid of. But I really like the sound of these linum cables. But really hate the 3.5mm jacks. I broke 2 of them already.

Sep 9, 2015 at 7:08 PM Post #8 of 16
Yeah, I can definitely see the merit in these cables. They are ridiculously thin, but they are consumer cables. You buy and break, then buy again. Repairs were definitely not built into the cable like some other aftermarket options.

Sep 9, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #9 of 16
But at this price, It's not very economical if it broke twice in 2 years.

Sep 9, 2015 at 8:38 PM Post #11 of 16
I wind and keep them in a ue hard case and when I'm using it it lives in my front pocket. I don't do weird stuff with it. At first the black sleeve gets loose then the glue breaks off.

Nov 7, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #13 of 16
I've broken 2 of these Bax cables now in the last year. The first one broke at the 3.5 socket when I sat down with my phone still on my pocket and the headphones connected (What?!) and the second one is now shorting next to the IEM connector where it bends to go back over my ear.

Also earlier this year, I briefly tucked my K10's into my scarf while I was talking with a friend. When I went to put my earphones back in, one of the K10's was missing, so it had come away from the connector and then fallen out of my scarf onto the ground somewhere without me noticing. That was a costly error requiring a replacement K10, but I can help thinking that the original Noble cable wouldn't have come away from the IEM in that case.

Linum were kind enough to replace my first one free of charge, but I haven't contacted them about the 2nd one. I don't really feel right going back for another freebie for something which I consider to be general wear & tear on a very delicate cable.

I've seen a few people on here repair or reterminate them, but I don't think it's worth the time and patience unless you're very VERY skilled with DIY cables and have the desire to go bald :p

Honestly, they're a great cable in terms of comfort. They're litterally invisible. (I've had people ask if my K10's were wireless when I've been isung the Bax) But, ergonomics suck because they tangle very easily, and they're very delicate.

If comfort is important to you, and you can afford to do so, just keep a new one in the drawer for when the current one breaks. :p Or, only use the Bax while you're at your desk. I was using mine everywhere though. Out walking, gym etc etc. So I kinda expect the wear.

However, I think the new SuperBax has addressed a lot of the issues. I'd still like to see some angled IEM connectors though.

Nov 7, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #14 of 16
Hey guys, it's been awhile now. I actually contacted linum for instructions on their pin out. And they very graciously replaced it for me. They also provided a right angle converter for me and that has proven to be very VERY good for saving the connection at the 3.5 side. So if anyone has issues with the 3.5 connector, buy a right angle connector, it should solve that issue.

Nov 8, 2015 at 10:14 AM Post #15 of 16
Yeah they did the same for me. Even though I bought mine for a discount at a trade show for cash and didn't have a receipt, they remembered talking with me, and replaced my first broken one free of charge (I just paid the couple of dollars to ship it back to them) and they also gave me an angled plug and a little magnetic cable tie. Their customer service is great.
I don't feel comfortable asking for another replacement though, given that I didn't pay retail for the first one, and this is more of an intermittent issue caused by wear & tear on a delicate item, rather than a manufacturing or design defect.

If the SuperBax had angled IEM connectors to take some of the stress out of the cable curling back over the ear, I'd be all over it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back