Repairing/Gluing loose housing for IEM? (Final Audio Design FI-BA-SS)
Feb 1, 2013 at 3:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

y0shelite

New Head-Fier
Hello. Newbie here, so my apologies if this is somehow in the wrong section.

I've attempted to search the forum and web for solutions but could not find a definitive answer.

My pair of FI-BA-SS from Final Audio Design recently had the left earbud housing become detached. No drastic force or anything caused it...seems as if there was an adhesive that just wore down for whatever reason. They don't "snap" back together, so i'm trying to see what would be 

here is a picture 

b87pki.jpg

Originally i thought the individual pieces of the housing could be detached and reassembled easily  based on this picture 

http://finalaudiodesign.sakura.ne.jp/fad/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/fl-ba-ss_6.jpg

but it appears there was some type of glue/adhesive that held it together as opposed to some male/female type connection. There is no degradation or chipping of the actual stainless steel housing. 

I don't have a warranty on these so i'm hoping to repair them myself  somehow. What adhesive would be best for stainless steel? The mesh screens/filters on these have also come undone...not sure if i can do anything about them but they aren't really my main concern as they don't negate the entire functionality of the earbud. Right now, i obviously can't use these as is.

any help is appreciated. Thank you for your help and patience

Feb 1, 2013 at 6:36 AM Post #2 of 2
I am not an expert on glues, but from my general experience of using glues, SuperGlue would give the strongest bond. However it is extremely difficult to apply in just the right amount. Any excess could flow into the BA driver and ruin it. Excess glue would also mar the exterior finish of the earphone. Hence, I don't think you should risk using it.

A more practical solution would be to use a contact adhesive. This would be much easier to apply in the right amount via a toothpick. Any excess on the outside of the casing could easily be wiped off. If necessary, use 70% Isopropyl alcohol (available from most Chemists) to wipe off the excess.

Like I said, I am not an expert, so use my advice with caution. Hopefully some more experienced member here will guide you better. 

Good Luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back