Repairing ear pads or replacing them on HD 595s
May 7, 2013 at 3:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

mercatorn

New Head-Fier
My HD 595s foam padding came apart because of the humidity and long-term use (i have had these for for over 8 years) is there any way i can repair it without getting them professionally fixed? I contacted sennheiser but their quote was too expensive for me. 

May 7, 2013 at 4:19 AM Post #2 of 6
You can replace the earpads easily yourself, although you will need a set of new earpads.

I'm not sure where you're located, but you can look on for example Amazon for a set of new earpads: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=sennheiser%20hd595%20earpads

To remove the worn out earpads you simply put your fingers behind them and pull them out. It probably takes a bit more force than you'd be comfortable with (and make sure you've really got your fingers behind the pad, such that you're pulling the earpad out of the cup, rather than pulling of the velours from the earpad). After you've removed them simply push the new earpads on. Despite being a video for the HD598, removing the earpads on the HD595 is exactly the same: http://youtu.be/E3uWKwUfzeQ?t=1m52s

May 7, 2013 at 4:27 AM Post #3 of 6
Thanks for the info, For a cost free option, would it be safe to try and glue them back together? Looking at the pads, it doesn't even seem like they stitch the velour pads together, its just held together by glue. Maybe its worth a try?

May 7, 2013 at 4:39 AM Post #4 of 6
Trying is knowing. :wink:
Pulling the velours back to behind the plastic holder ring and fixating it again with glue and/or a couple of stitches may indeed be the solution.

Do pull off the ear pads before you start glueing of course.

May 7, 2013 at 5:28 AM Post #5 of 6
Well i pulled off the pads and cleaned some dust and grime and hair from the back. Haha, I guess that is 8 years of use does.

The back plastic 'wrap' material seems really worn out and frayed and damaged as you can see. What is this material and does it affect sound quality? I'll post some pics of the repair progress later when I start working on it!

May 12, 2013 at 3:37 AM Post #6 of 6
I just had to order some replacement pads direct from sennheiser for my hd595 before giving it to a friend.  Very easy process

Users who are viewing this thread

Back