Repair Westone W4 or replace?
Apr 1, 2020 at 8:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

blueescalade88

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone

Looking for some advice or recommendation. My current set of Weston W4 IEMs have a short on the ride side of the cable after the split and wanting to know if it's worth repairing or just getting a new set of IEM's since they do not currently have a removable cable.

It was quite difficult to find anyone at all to repair them but David over at Triton Audio Cables said he could do it and gave me two options.
  • Recable with Viablue silver plated copper wires for $105
  • Or Install MMCX or 2pin female connectors for removable cables for $85
My thoughts are that if i get them repaired I should go ahead and get them converted so i can always replace the cable if this happens again.

I've had the set for about 7 years and have really enjoyed them and don't have a ton of experience with other high end IEMs, I had Triple Fis before these that sounded great but could never get past how uncomfortable they were.

Given the cost to repair and potentially buy a new cable as well I thought it may be worth considering a new set. I have seen some good reviews for the Massdrop Plus ($200), the Etymotic ER4XR or ER4SR ($299) and then there is also the Westone UM Pro 50 (Gen 1) for $299.

Anyone have any opinions? Repair or replace? Anyone can compare the W4s to the above? Would it be a big upgrade?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back