Repair some old headphones
Sep 7, 2004 at 8:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

MOMO

New Head-Fier
I think I posted the first thread in the wrong category. So you may take it away. Hope this isn't to disturbing in some way or another.

Ok, I found these very old headphones down in my basement and thought that I wanted to use them for my computer. The problem was that the sound was hacking, probably because of a bad cable inside it. So I cut it open and started to solder some new cables together.

I was finished after some time and wanted to test them. I was like a little boy with something new and exciting. But they didn't function correctly. The hacking was gone. I had atleast fixed that *FLEX* But one speaker didn't have any sound.

When I first tested them, one of the speakers didn't have any sound at all. That was because one cable was loose down in the "contact"(Sorry for my bad english. I am from Sweden).

I solderd(spelling?) it together and thought that it would work, but it didn't. Is it normal that the speaker is broken in old headphones? Or is it a problem that happend when I tried to solder(spelling again?) the cables together.

Is there a way to check if it is the speaker? Like, just to be sure. I am thinking about stealing a speaker from one of my other "broken" headphones. Would be thankfull for any kind of answers, except bad ones.

Sep 7, 2004 at 8:12 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by null
It could be that a driver is blown, or you soldered incorrectly...

Yeah I know. It may be that I didn't soldered good enough. But is there a way to check that? I don't want to rip away a speaker when it is really functional.

Sep 7, 2004 at 8:32 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

I am thinking about stealing a speaker from one of my other "broken" headphones. Would be thankfull for any kind of answers, except bad ones.

Seems that you own plenty of broken headphones.
At least one working set would be nice for testing whatever jack you are using (receiver? soundcard? CDP?).
Maybe your repaired headphones are O.K. but the jack is broken.

Sep 7, 2004 at 9:18 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma
Seems that you own plenty of broken headphones.
At least one working set would be nice for testing whatever jack you are using (receiver? soundcard? CDP?).
Maybe your repaired headphones are O.K. but the jack is broken.

Nah, I don't think that it is the jack. Anyways, I don't own so many broken headphones. I had 2 that was broken, but found these old ones like I said. They rule in my opinion. Maybe not the quality of the sound, but they are really big ^_^

I am thinking about stealing the speakers from my old Casonic headphones. The quality of my Casonic is good enough for me. So that may be the best choice. Now I only need to put them in, which may be harder than I though.

Sep 8, 2004 at 12:38 AM Post #7 of 10
Mind posting a pic? Perhaps we can identify them.

Sep 8, 2004 at 4:06 AM Post #8 of 10
I would suggest finding someone in the area who has a ohmmeter or DVM multi-meter and simply measuring the resistance of the two speakers in question?
Get the measuring device's probes as close to the vioce coil wire as possible- so you are not measuring thru any potential bad solder joints - if good they both should measure the same ( probably somewhere between 10 to 300 ohms) - if the suspected "bad" driver measures as a "open" - in other words the same measurment you get with the probes not touching anything - it's blown. If it measures reasonably close to whatever the working side of the 'phone gives you - it may well be good - and it is your solder work or some other bad connection somewhere.
Good Luck!

Sep 8, 2004 at 4:32 AM Post #9 of 10
you can measure the continuity from the different sections of the plug to the end of the wire going to the one bad side. There are a few things that could be a problem. 1 the speaker could be blown as the others have said, you can test this with a meter. The cable could have some splits in it, this can be measured with a meter also. The last is an odd problem but ive had it a few times. Wires for headphones sometimes use a colored epoxy coating some a red and green you can see a copper color but you can also see a red or green tint. If you have this kind of cable its somtimes hard to solder because its hard to get solder to stick to the epoxy. What you have to do is use a knife or a blade and scrape that epoxy off so that when you solder its actualy making a bond to the wire and not the epoxy.

Sep 9, 2004 at 3:22 PM Post #10 of 10
I have now fixed them, if anyone wanted to know. I changed the one speaker and now it works. The quality isn't the greatest, but good enough. I also have a picture, if someone wanted to have a look at them.

One more thing, it is kinda freaky because you can't here a damn thing. That is both good, and bad.

http://img81.exs.cx/img81/8214/Bild6.jpg

EDIT: And yes, I have shortened the cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back