Repair or Replace my HD 448s?
Apr 15, 2015 at 12:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

MisterAlex

New Head-Fier
I'm a new member here, but I'm not big on creating "Hello, I'm new" posts (I never know what to say), so I'll jump right in with my cry for help/advice.

I bought my Sennheiser HD 448 headphones based on the advice of friends and online buddies far more knowledgeable than myself with regard to audio hardware. There is nothing wrong with my headphones--functionally speaking. They still sound great, and I love them almost as much as when I first got them about five years ago.

However, the ear pads and head pad are all cracked up and have even lost a little bit of fluff/foam. I'm somewhat tempted to drop coin on a pair of HD 598s (admittedly in part due to their attractive look), but I also kind of feel like I'd be doing my current headphones a disservice, especially since I know the pads are supposed to be replaceable.

That said, I cannot find replacement pads on Sennheiser's website, and everything I see on Amazon and eBay appears to be knock-off and third-party parts.
Ideally, I'd like some of the cloth/velour pads instead of the "leatherette" ones. I know they'll sound different, but I doubt they'll sound bad.

I'm sure there are a number of you who've had to replace parts or entire headsets. What do y'all think?

Thanks!

Apr 15, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #2 of 3
There's a big difference between the HD448 & HD598 - the former is a closed-back headphone and the latter is an open-back headphone. Not only is that a different sound, but the open-back will not isolate you from outside noise and will leak sound to your neighbors. Is that a concern for you?

The head-fi way is to do *both* - keep the HD448, experiment with different replacement ear pads, *and* also buy the HD598...

:p

If you are looking for replacement leatherette pads: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_75152_Sennheiser-HD-429-HD-449-Earpads-534441.html

You might try these - but I don't know if they will fit: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_75663_Sennheiser-534440-Replacement-HD419-HD439-Ear-Pads.html

Apr 16, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #3 of 3
Thanks a lot for the feedback and the links. I'll definitely get new pads for my existing headphones now.

As far as the 598s go, I didn't realize that difference. I'll try to see if I can find an in-store demo first to try out and see how I like an open-back headset. Again, I definitely appreciate the insight.

I went ahead and ordered the cloth ear pads to try out; they're cheaper than I was expecting, so that's great.

Edit: The new pads arrived, and replacement was a snap. Thanks again for the guidance, billybob_jcv.  :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back