Repair of Westone W40ish
Oct 8, 2015 at 8:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

JimC2

New Head-Fier
I'm new to the forum but no stranger to hi-fi audio.  Have been lurking around Head-fi for about a year but just finally registered.  

A while back I decided to go the cheap route and purchase a pair of W30's off of eBay.  The guy was fairly close to me, had reasonable feedback and the only complaint with the UEM was that the cable was bad and would occasionally cut out.   After purchasing some new cables everything seemed to work, then within a few weeks the left side cut to about 20% volume. I swapped cables etc with no change.   I took off the removable case to see if there was anything servicable underneath it and noticed that it was a W40 not a W30.  I took off the other shell and found that it is a W30 as expected. It appears I got had by an eBay shiester which sucks but is part of the risks when you are trying to get too good of a deal.  Does anyone know if there is something I can do to possibly return my W40 to working order?  It looks like if I try and disassemble it the housing will break and I likely will not get it back together.

Outside of any repair options, if anyone has a broken right side W30/W40 and has a left one which needs a new home I would be happy to help find it one.  Otherwise I will have to purchase one.      

Jun 10, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #2 of 2
probably too late, but i wander what you ended up doing?

have you sent them back to westone?

I am sending mine back, and curious how they handle out of warranty repair

Users who are viewing this thread

Back