Repair Custom IEMs or Buy New Ones.....Help!!!
Jan 26, 2013 at 9:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

eldarko

New Head-Fier
I have a set of TF10s remolded by Fisher Hearing that cost me $99. The sound amazing, are my favorite and I love listening to them. I've owned at some point the following:
Vmoda Vibes - horrible. Muddy, overpowering bass was unbearable to listen to without EQing the bass down.
ER-6i - Too clinical sounding.
RE0 - Nice highs and mids but lacked bass
Yuin PK3 - Warm sounding headphone. not as detailed in the highs or as tight as the TF10. I use them at work since they aren't isolating.

My issue is the low driver in the right side went out. I use them for everything from the gym to mowing the lawn, or just sitting at home. I have three options:

1. Get them repaired and remolded - Quoted $289 + cable cost.
2. Buy new CIEMs. I was thinking Cosmic ears HY3 or 1964 V3. $300-425
3. Buy cheaper IEMs.

I would love to hear members opinions on this since repairing them is more than they cost initially. Thanks in advance!

Jan 27, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #2 of 3
We're sorry to hear your words, it hurts to imagine an IEM suffering for what you mentioned...

My advice: do not use expensive headphones (CIEMs) for everyday tasks. I own a pair of headphones for the gym, another one with extra isolation for public transportation and an extra pair to listen at home or before sleep. The funny thing is that all of them are in good shape considering that I am not very careful.

Get a new pair, and try to sell the broken ones. If you repair the old ones, you won't care much about them (no offense) and the desire to get new ones will come faster that what you think. But its my opinion and your money. 

Jan 27, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #3 of 3
Sounds like channel imbalance to me.  Try leaving it in the airing cupboard (or somewhere warm) to see if that helps.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back