Repair Audeze LCD-X or not?
Jan 6, 2021 at 8:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

razerx

100+ Head-Fier
My beloved Audeze LCD-X has died on one side and Audeze quoted me nearly $600 to replace both drivers. I have only had them for 3 years since new and still only used them sparingly because I have other headphone. Seems this is a known problem? Well I love the headphones so much I bought a second one an LCD-XC used open box from B&H. Normally if for anything else given how much I love the product I would fix it but am now kind of apprehensive due to the fragility of the drivers. What would you do?

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2021 at 9:59 PM Post #2 of 7
My beloved Audeze LCD-X has died on one side and Audeze quoted me $589 to replace both drivers. I have only had them for 3 years since new and still only used them sparingly because I have other headphone. Seems this is a known problem? Well I love the headphones so much I bought a second one an LCD-XC used open box from B&H. Normally if for anything else given how much I love the product I would fix it but am now kind of apprehensive due to the fragility of the drivers. It certainly wasn’t “user error“ that caused it. I mean I put the phones on my head to listen to music and when I am done I take them off. What is headphone user error?
Maybe this is a good opportunity to move on to something else. What would you do?

Interesting situation.

With your headphones having driver issues at just 3 years - you might want to push them
for a lower repair fee. Reason being that they have a 3 year warranty. And many
manufacturers will defray the cost of a repair - particularly a high cost repair - if the
defect occurs (or becomes apparent) just past the warranty period.

Another important point - if they do charge you for the repair - at the stated
amount (or less) - how long will they warrant your repaired headphones?
And what, exactly, will the (new) warranty cover? Whatever it may be,
be absolutely sure to get it in writing. Audeze as a company is very tight
in that respect (and many other respects as well).

I did what I would call a "medium" search on the issue of Audeze headphone' build quality.
I also read their Terms of Service and Warranty thoroughly and completely.

https://www.audeze.com/policies/terms-of-service
https://audeze.zendesk.com/hc/en-us...rranty-Policy-including-Amazon-and-eBay-sales

Problems with their headphones seem to have peaked in 2015 or so,
moderating since to a more normative and reasonable number.
(although much of the available information about Audeze headphones' build quality
is anecdotal, as it must be.)
Nonetheless, my view is they're picky and demanding with respect to their
various Terms. I would personally hesitate to deal with them unless I had
truly endless funds, despite their reputation for great sound.

At the same time, though, bear in mind that "carriage trade" customers buying
unusually pricey goods have been warned for many years
that repairs will be more expensive than with lower priced products.
e.g. a smashed taillight on a Mercedes will cost more to repair
than one on a Honda.

that repairs will not be necessary as often as with less expensive brands,
and, if they are necessary, they will be handled more quickly and professionally
(for example, doing a pick up and drop off of your problematic Maybach).

I do urge you to consider the suggestions in the first paragraph above,
especially regarding negotiating the repair fee for a pricey product
just out of warranty. And you're a repeat customer - always worth
mentioning in such situations.

Feel free to send a PM if you wish.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2021 at 11:35 PM Post #3 of 7
I am just worried if the drivers are so fragile it’ll just happen again. I am using the LCD-XC now and will wait a year. The cost of repair can’t be much higher if I waited a year. Meanwhile I’ll look into something else. What a shame.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2021 at 2:24 AM Post #4 of 7
Since the new one msrp is 1,199 i think it's ok to pay that service cost instead of buy the new one

FYI there's some manufacture company that will not willing to service/repair your headphone/driver, they just simply asked you to buy the new one in case the driver busted, there's no other choice, you must need/hope for third party to fix your headphone, most japanese company like ATH did these for example, in my country that's their policy as i told by them on email, you are lucky audeze want/willing to repair your headphone instead suggest you to buy the new one (any type of headphone including their TOTL because they said the warranty cover replacement only not serviced), i suggest if you loved them then just pay it, the warranty also reset IIRC.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #5 of 7
I don't think it's worth fixing at that price. I think audio industry goes to far sometimes. Should be fixed for much less if it's just out of warranty. And if tey are such delicate drivers, move on to other company. There are sennheiser 600 about 20 years old and still working perfectly. The whole audeze thing with starting prices of 1000$ and then these issues... They should give 5 years warranty, minimum. So much money spent on such a weak and delicate thing, no thanks. Otherwise it may include an idiot certificate for you... Unless you are rich, of course.

Feb 1, 2021 at 3:23 AM Post #6 of 7
Did you buy with a credit card? Most companies offer an extra 1 year past the normal warranty from manufacturer, I would talk to your CC company as they may be able to refund you for your purchase or something along those lines.

Feb 1, 2021 at 5:01 AM Post #7 of 7
@razerx
https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/the...e-your-credit-cards-extended-warranty-policy/

here is a list don't know how up to date it is but I randomly have 2 cards that have extended warranties so it's not that hard to get on by accident, I would get one of these cards for all future purchases (amazon business card isn't hard to get, I have the business prime but the business one you can get for free) and Visa signature is also one I have you can easily get

I should do a PSA about this, I feel like a lot of people may have gotten screwed without knowing they could have it covered, or gotten screwed out of buying good headphones due to crappy manufacturers warranties or making a purchase with another CC and missing an extra 1 year warranty (I bought my Sundara's soley based on my business prime cards warranty)
EDIT: posted

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back