Repadded Sony MDR-7506 cans... WITH PICS!!
Dec 2, 2006 at 2:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Chops

500+ Head-Fier
Just thought I'd post a thread of my freshly repadded 7506's. The threads that I've seen before didn't offer much in the way of decent pictures, so I figured why not post up some. So here they are!
cool.gif

BTW, I have noted a bit of an increase in bass output with these new pads installed. I'm thinking that the yellow foam of the original Sony pads maybe let more sound escape than these new velour ones from Beyer, hence the very welcome boost in the bass department. And when they are either closed together or clamped onto the side of my computer desk (like in the pic below) there's very little sound coming from them. At lest there's a lot less than there was with the old pads.

Comfort is another great improvement. Man, these things take me back to the old Senn HD600's I used to have, minus the better sound quality and vise-grip squeeze on the ole' noggin that the 600's gave me. Overall, I am very happy and pleased with this little well needed mod.

Anyway, enjoy the pics and feel free to make some comments if you like.
wink.gif

IMG_2292.jpg

IMG_2294.jpg

IMG_2297.jpg

IMG_2298.jpg

IMG_2299.jpg

IMG_2308.jpg

Dec 2, 2006 at 7:06 AM Post #3 of 24
Did you re-use the driver grille cloth or use something else? My pleather pads were new and the grille cloth is attached so I used a black nylon cloth cut from the wife's leotard to cover the drivers.

Dec 2, 2006 at 8:26 AM Post #5 of 24
Looks just like my V6's. Yeah, I ended up cutting the pleather pads to get the foam insert. I couldnt' find anything similar, and wanted them to sound the same. This mod turns these phones into some of the best available - they've always sounded that good. It's just that Sony's pleather is as thin as tissue - and wears out like it, too.

Good job!

Dec 2, 2006 at 5:18 PM Post #6 of 24
nikongod, thanks!
wink.gif

joe cool, yep, I reused the old grille cloth. I just carefully peeled them off the old pads, put the new pads on, then carefully tucked the old cloth under and around the new pads. Worked perfectly!

mb3k, Yes, those are little Bose Model 141's that I use with a Sonic Impact T-Amp (original, unmodded) for my computer. I know the general consensus about Bose products, but these were given to me and they sound amazingly good for what they are. Definately better than your normal run-of-the-mill PC speakers. Besides, they DO have a single 901 4" fullrange driver in them.
biggrin.gif

BTW, I bought the Beyer pads from B&H Photo.

tomb, I was quite surprised to find out that just the pads made such a difference in sound! And like I said, the comfort is great. Thanks for the complement!

Dec 2, 2006 at 6:36 PM Post #7 of 24
ooohh! Beyer pads! that reminds me, i need to hit up B&H for some, my MDR-V7s are coming soon!
biggrin.gif

BTW, does the 7506 have a coiled cord or straight?

Dec 2, 2006 at 7:03 PM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by camille /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ooohh! Beyer pads! that reminds me, i need to hit up B&H for some, my MDR-V7s are coming soon!
biggrin.gif

It's a coiled cord...

IMG_2252.jpg

Dec 2, 2006 at 8:09 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

joe cool, yep, I reused the old grille cloth. I just carefully peeled them off the old pads, put the new pads on, then carefully tucked the old cloth under and around the new pads. Worked perfectly!

Be advised, Sony has started sewing them - at least on the V6's. Cutting mine was the only way to get the grill cloth. I was hoping to save the pleather cushions for a rainy day, but can't. No matter - can't imagine these without the Beyer velours ever again.

Dec 4, 2006 at 5:54 AM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by camille /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

Do you have link? TIA

Dec 4, 2006 at 12:12 PM Post #12 of 24
Dec 17, 2006 at 12:06 PM Post #13 of 24
I've been meaning to do this mod to my 7506s for months now, and I finally ordered the Beyer pads from B&H early las week. I've just now removed the old ones and installed the Beyers. The 7506s are remarkably more comfortable with the soft velour pads vs. the sticky (and in my case, worn) pleather originals. Currently the drivers are exposed, as I haven't pulled the off the grille cloth yet. I'm too tired to attempt that tonight.
blink.gif

I'm going to conduct a proper listening test tomorrow. I know the sound of the 7506/V6s pretty well at this point (having owned a set for over five years.) I'm not expecting anything earth-shattering, but already I like the fit and feel better.
biggrin.gif

Dec 18, 2006 at 4:34 AM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Knuckledragger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been meaning to do this mod to my 7506s for months now, and I finally ordered the Beyer pads from B&H early las week. I've just now removed the old ones and installed the Beyers. The 7506s are remarkably more comfortable with the soft velour pads vs. the sticky (and in my case, worn) pleather originals. Currently the drivers are exposed, as I haven't pulled the off the grille cloth yet. I'm too tired to attempt that tonight.
blink.gif

I'm going to conduct a proper listening test tomorrow. I know the sound of the 7506/V6s pretty well at this point (having owned a set for over five years.) I'm not expecting anything earth-shattering, but already I like the fit and feel better.
biggrin.gif

You'll notice an increase in bass output for sure, and a decrease in outside noise getting in.

Dec 18, 2006 at 5:51 AM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chops /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You'll notice an increase in bass output for sure, and a decrease in outside noise getting in.

i also take it a decrease of sound leaking too...the aging pleather pads on my V7s leak quite a lot of sound considering they're closed cans...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back