Renting a car
Oct 30, 2007 at 4:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

devin_mm

1000+ Head-Fier
I have 7 days off this coming weekend and I'm thinking of flying somewhere but I'm going to need to rent a car so I have a few questions. First I'm 23 so that makes me pretty young, how hard is it to rent a car when you're young like me? Second is there anything I should look out for? Third any suggestions on where to go(somewhere in Canada or US, I really want to go elsewhere but not for 6 days)? I essentially have 6 days-ish, I here Tuesday and come back Sunday.

Thanks

Oct 30, 2007 at 5:18 PM Post #2 of 20
In some jurisdictions in Canada it's hard to get a car rental if you're under 25. You should be fine in most places in the US. Best to check though and book ahead before you book your flight.

Oct 30, 2007 at 6:01 PM Post #3 of 20
Well I've decided I'm going to Victoria BC, $218 return is hard to resist.

Oct 30, 2007 at 7:04 PM Post #5 of 20
Well to answer my own question, yes you can rent a car if you are under 25 (at least in BC anyway) but you have to pay a $20/day under age rental fee.

Oct 30, 2007 at 10:50 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by devin_mm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well to answer my own question, yes you can rent a car if you are under 25 (at least in BC anyway) but you have to pay a $20/day under age rental fee.

Thats pretty good. Here in the states, most companies charge $100 extra if you are under 25
rolleyes.gif

Oct 30, 2007 at 11:36 PM Post #9 of 20
I considered renting a Miata, buying the insurance policy for it, and going autocrossing in it. I came to the conclusion that road racing it would probably void the insurance policy on it, lol.

Oct 31, 2007 at 6:53 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by wes.coleman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I considered renting a Miata, buying the insurance policy for it, and going autocrossing in it. I came to the conclusion that road racing it would probably void the insurance policy on it, lol.

you will be hard pressed to find a place that rents miatas, probably for this reason.

Oct 31, 2007 at 12:28 PM Post #12 of 20
I think I'm getting a grand prix, at least it's something.

Oct 31, 2007 at 12:51 PM Post #13 of 20
I love renting cars. It's fun to drive another car that's not my own. It's kinda like cheating on my car? Anyway, i usually rent when when I fly to another location. If possible get a car with satelite radio. I think Hertz offers that with there cars but it's been a couple years since i rented a car.

Nov 3, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #14 of 20
To revive this thread, is there usually an issue taking a rental car over the Canada/US border? or does it vary by company? I am going to Victoria and I might take a ferry down to Seattle.

Nov 3, 2007 at 10:08 PM Post #15 of 20
I've never had a rental agency give me trouble about taking the car over the US/Canada border, but you should have written permission from the rental agency when you cross the border. They border agents don't always ask, but if they do ask, and you don't have written permission, they won't let you cross.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back