Renting a car for vacation.....Budget? Avis? and things to look out for
Apr 24, 2007 at 3:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

kin0kin

Headphoneus Supremus
As per titled, gonna rent a car in Ontario, Canada, and will be driving it to Quebec. This is the first time I'd be renting a car and im not sure which company to rent it from. One thing I'm certain is not to pay for their insurance....what other stuff should I be looking out for? thanks

Apr 24, 2007 at 8:02 AM Post #3 of 16
Don't go for a Plymouth Horizon! As I recall, Lewis Black had a terrible experience with one :p (I wonder how many people will get this reference?)

From what I recall from my family vacations, Dollar and Budget are both great companies to rent from.

Apr 24, 2007 at 8:17 AM Post #4 of 16
If you use an American Express card, they cover insurance of the car (the rental car itself you still need standard liability insurance). It's called loss damage waiver. When they try to sell you on the rental car companies so called "no fault" insurance scam, you just decline, and use your Amex card to reserve and to pay for the car.

Also, on the Amex website, there is a travel section where they often have special rates that can be much better than Expedia, Travelocity, etc.

Better than taking notes, bring a camera and take pics of the car, before and after you return it.

I've had good experiences with Dollar, Hertz, and Budget. Some smaller companies have been less than satisfactory to downright horrible experience.

-Ed

Apr 24, 2007 at 3:27 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you use an American Express card, they cover insurance of the car (the rental car itself you still need standard liability insurance). It's called loss damage waiver.

Isn't that great! I just found out about it from a friend I'm traveling with in May.

To the OP: One thing to keep in mind about renting a car is that if you pick it up in one place and return it in another, the rates are exorbitantly higher than a round trip. I don't know the purpose of your trip if it's travel, it's often worthwhile to make the round trip then fly to your next destination.

--Chris

Apr 24, 2007 at 3:44 PM Post #8 of 16
Your auto insurance will cover you with rentals....or at least it should. Mine does so forget that expense. I'm also a big fan of Hertz. I'm a Gold member and that's pretty sweet. No standing in line, discounts(along with the ones from my professional membership) are an added bonus. We hop on the Hertz shuttle at the airports and they drop us off at the Gold board. We look for our name/number and go straight to the car which is clean, gassed and waiting for us. Trunk is even open ready for our luggage. Drive right out and we're on our way. Also, I've never been one to take notes on dings and such. I just give a walk around the car and if anything major stands out, I'll summon an attendant. Never an issue in my experience. Usually, I'm out of that Hertz lot within 5 minutes of being dropped off.
biggrin.gif

Apr 24, 2007 at 4:58 PM Post #9 of 16
Ok, this is officially the third time I've tried to post this. Hopefully the site doesn't crash as I try to subit again...
frown.gif

--------------------------------------------------------
Because you aren't leaving the country, there aren't any extra details to worry about. I've had positive experiences with Avis, Budget and Hertz.

Definitely check with your credit card and insurance companies before paying for any rental insurance. I've never had any issues with misappropriated damage claims, but the "take pictures before and after" idea is simple, quick and could save you if anything comes up.

My real advice is this: BE CAREFUL while driving in Quebec. Carrying an Ontario licence plate in Quebec is like driving with a giant cop magnet on the roof. Obey all limits and signs. Nobody wants to pay for an infraction...

...even fewer like having to go out of province to fight one.

Apr 24, 2007 at 7:30 PM Post #10 of 16
it's that serious in Quebec? I've never been there so I've got no idea about ontario license plate being cop magnet
blink.gif

I have a couple of cards and all cover auto insurance, but I will likely use my Amex since most people suggest that. I'm planning to rent the car from one province and drop it off at another. I believe that would still be cheaper than 4 air tickets?
smily_headphones1.gif

The thing about hertz is that they are kinda expensive...but my dad says he can get 10-20% off with his Citybank card....so I've really got no idea which to rent from. Can someone rank their preference for hertz, budget, avis? tehre's no dollar in Canada afaik.

Apr 24, 2007 at 8:10 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by kin0kin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe that would still be cheaper than 4 air tickets?
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheaper than FOUR air tickets, yes. Probably at least as expensive as one, yes. Call them and find out. Most of them don't even allow for this option.

Apr 24, 2007 at 8:31 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by kin0kin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As per titled, gonna rent a car in Ontario, Canada, and will be driving it to Quebec. This is the first time I'd be renting a car and im not sure which company to rent it from. One thing I'm certain is not to pay for their insurance....what other stuff should I be looking out for? thanks

Start here for best pricing, deals, freebies, etc.Link

Aug 10, 2010 at 2:22 PM Post #13 of 16
When you skip the insurance, make sure your company covers the "loss" part.  This means if you have a problem with the car, you continue to pay rent until the car is returned to service 100% (I have seen body shops have a car for close to a month).  Even though I have a full coverage deluxe policy, my company (Shelter) did not cover this and my agent stated that hardly any do cover this area.  Wasn't worth saving 200 bucks to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back