Rene Jacobs Don Giovanni
Sep 26, 2007 at 12:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

calaf

1000+ Head-Fier
is about to come out in the US. It received (surprise, surprise) 10/10 from Robert Levine on classicstoday.

More interesting is a making-of video found on youtube (and apparently not in the initial release) where you can hear a good 15' of the recording and see that the recording was mixed using Senns
600smile.gif

Who wants to take one for the team and pre order the recording for a modest $43.98 (more for the Hybrid SACD)?

Sep 26, 2007 at 10:05 AM Post #2 of 5
I bought it last Friday and have listened to it four times since then. It is as great as expected. If you liked his other Mozart you will love this too.

I would think you can find it cheaper than that, I bought it for under $40 in my local mall and CDs are expensive in Moscow.

Sep 26, 2007 at 8:46 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by widmerpool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought it last Friday and have listened to it four times since then. It is as great as expected. If you liked his other Mozart you will love this too.

I would think you can find it cheaper than that, I bought it for under $40 in my local mall and CDs are expensive in Moscow.

for some reason, Harmonia Mundi CDs are always expensive on amazon (and in the US in general). I'll wait till it appears on some lower-cost outlet, but it will be hard.

Out of curiosity, does your copy include a DVD with the making-of documentary?

Nov 5, 2007 at 11:08 AM Post #5 of 5
Its as superb as you might expect from Jacobs' other Mozart operas (although not his disk of the Prague and Jupiter Symphonies which I did not like much at all).

It has been available for a little while on emusic and itunes if thats of any help.... Luckily here in Japan we seem to get new releases from Harmonia Mundi before I see them even advertised in the music press, although we definitely pay for the privilege (priced about $55 at both HMV and Tower).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back