Removing tone pot from B-Tech BT928
Jun 11, 2009 at 7:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Neil27

100+ Head-Fier
Ive heard that removing the tone pot from this amp helps with the sound quality alot. how would i go about doing this. could i just unsolder the six conections from pot to the pcb or would i have to also bridge the connections on the board (im not too good with circuits)

Thanks for any help!

Jun 11, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil27 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ive heard that removing the tone pot from this amp helps with the sound quality alot. how would i go about doing this. could i just unsolder the six conections from pot to the pcb or would i have to also bridge the connections on the board (im not too good with circuits)

Thanks for any help!

Desoldering the tone pot help the sound massively. Just remove it, you don't have to bridge anything.

Jun 11, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #3 of 12
I remember I removed the two green and two orange capacitors as well, marked 101 and 472 on the board. Actually I removed and replaced all other components on the board, but that's another story
smily_headphones1.gif
This was my first taste of DIY and I've been hooked ever since.

Jun 11, 2009 at 8:41 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

ah cool.. should be pretty easy to do then.

Is there any other effective mods for this amp? whats the best things to do?

Very easy to do. Changing the opamp would be the next step I guess. I put in a socket and then put an OPA2134 in it. Sounded a lot better.

Jun 11, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrMajestic2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I remember I removed the two green and two orange capacitors as well, marked 101 and 472 on the board. Actually I removed and replaced all other components on the board, but that's another story
smily_headphones1.gif
This was my first taste of DIY and I've been hooked ever since.

Would i need to revome those capacitors aswell for the tone pot removal to be complete?

Also could i replace the red LED with a blue one?

Jun 11, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Would i need to revome those capacitors aswell for the tone pot removal to be complete?

If I remember correctly, yes.

Quote:

Also could i replace the red LED with a blue one?

Yes, shouldn't be a problem.

Jun 11, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrMajestic2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I remember correctly, yes.

Yes, shouldn't be a problem.

Do you know what those capacitors actually did. and are you sure that they are only there for the tone control and not for the running of the amp?

Thanks for all your help!
smile.gif

Jun 11, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Do you know what those capacitors actually did. and are you sure that they are only there for the tone control and not for the running of the amp?

Thanks for all your help!
smile.gif

Removing them improves the sound when the tone control is also removed. I'm not sure what the function was, but they are not needed for operating the amp.

Jun 11, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #10 of 12
I removed the two (green in mine) caps and also the tone pot. It does open the sound up quite a bit.

B Tech BT928 Headphone Pro Amp might help.

But be very careful...

If you've not done DIY before, the success of making this amp will lure you in. Before you know it, severe wallet haemorrhage ensues, and you gain superb sound. You'll justify splashing £310 on a buffalo 32S DAC, to go with your SC Class A head-amp and K701's, and be etching your own PCB's.

You were me, a year ago.

Run.

Save yourself..... ;o)

Jun 11, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You were me, a year ago.

Run.

Save yourself..... ;o)

Times two
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 19, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #12 of 12
Looking back on this thread the other day I spotted this mod, about the tone switch....well I removed mine tonight, ..had to check it out proper, but had a quick listen  ,First by port mini disc fed via a  y lead into the rca inputs on the amp....etc, .....not to bad, had to turn u volume....but plenty of spare sound....Then linked the cd player , Very loud...so had to turn volume down quickly....I tried  grado sr325i,  these were very loud.....only had to turn volume up a little bit......then the goldring... these needed more volume, but both ok....then tried the senn Hd  580, ......these needed more volume still, but I still have plenty to spare.......so just need to give them a proper listen when get the time......but all in all , sems ok....
Getting a port headphone amp this week the ...topping NX1......which ill be using mainly for the port mini disc player,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back