removing the smell of smoke from headphones?
Sep 29, 2007 at 5:34 PM Post #31 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by ford2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Prefer the smell of smoke than cats & dogs.
Maybe pet owners should tell when they sell.

Cats don't smell bad.Well, they don't smell like anything at all.

One thing cats like is things that move and they like headphones cables. So the problem with cats is not the smell is the claws and teeth. I know, I have 3 cats. And they would go into headphone-cable diet if I let them but I always put the headphones on a box and into a drawer.

It's usual to see "Kept in a smoke-free and pet-free environment" on ads at ebay. I only care of the smoke part, it is really disgusting.

Sep 30, 2007 at 4:23 AM Post #32 of 58
You may want to try wiping down the cloth parts with a mixture of liquid soap and a mild oxidizer such as dilute hydrogen peroxide. I have never tried this on headphones, but it works well on dogs that have found young skunks (an annual Spring event around here).

If you try this, please make sure to test the solution on a small area to make sure that it doesn't fade the headband or ear pads.

Sep 30, 2007 at 4:26 AM Post #33 of 58
I bought a guitar used online once and when I got it, both the guitar and case STANK of cigarettes. I went to home depot, got a little bathroom size air ionizer, put it on an extension cable, and put it and the guitar in the case and let it run for a few days. The smell was almost totally removed, down to a hardly noticeable level.

Sep 30, 2007 at 4:54 AM Post #34 of 58
Well, I think the point is, with 60% or more of people being non smokers, and quite a few smokers not smoking in their homes, it would probably be courteous for smokers to mention on their ads if they smoke... but, buyer beware, you can ask THEM too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 30, 2007 at 6:06 AM Post #35 of 58
mebby a vinegar soaked baking soda box?

Sep 30, 2007 at 11:34 PM Post #38 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peoples /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ozonization. There should be firms that do this in your area, possibly. It removes all odours.

What kind of firm? I actually need this, too (just got my Sextetts, and they stink). I searched for "Ozonization" and "fire recovery" on Switchboard for my area, and found nothing.

Sep 30, 2007 at 11:37 PM Post #39 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Peoples /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ozonization. There should be firms that do this in your area, possibly. It removes all odours.

seriously, i have never heard of this until this thread... i first thought it was a joke, then i looked in to it more...
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 30, 2007 at 11:50 PM Post #41 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe I'll just get a small ozone generator...

and maybe i'll ship my headphones to you to deorderize
wink.gif

seriously, one member should invest in a ozone generator and fix this problem for us members for a small amount... which will eventually end up as a profit :p

*puts his finger on his nose*

Sep 30, 2007 at 11:58 PM Post #42 of 58
Heh, maybe I will. I don't really have any idea where to get one, though, or how to safely handle it.

I suppose one could use a fish-tank, sealing the top with a few layers of like plastic wrap, then create a vacuum, and fill it with ozone, then use a fan to get it away from indoors.

If someone can find an ozone generator that isn't too much money (ie. around $100) and I'll consider it. I'm kind-of afraid of the health implications.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back