removing shielding
Nov 8, 2006 at 3:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

tourmaline

Headphoneus Supremus
I removed the shielding of my homemade high end powercable and boy did it make a difference! At first it sounded realy dark and unfocussed. After i removed the shielding and twisted the pair it sounded al of a sudden the way i wanted it to sound, nice clean and focussed. Now i can hear all details present. Now the cable is so good, i can hear the cheap cd player is not up to the task.
cool.gif
rolleyes.gif

The staging is closer to eachother, not as wide as it was with the shielding but much better focus,detail and clarity.

If you have double shielded cables, you can try out to remove it, good bet it sounds much better without.

Seems that they use shielding for making a specific sound in a cable... wich shouldn't be.

it was shielded this way:

core...teflon...copper shielding...outer shielding pvc. So, i removed the copper shielding and the outer shielding and twisted the teflon cores into eachother and connected them to the rhodium plated furutechs.

Nov 9, 2006 at 3:43 AM Post #3 of 9
I heard muddy sound when shield was touching the cable, it was worse.

Have you tried putting the shield half an inch away from the cable? I didn't hear any weaknesses when I did that.

4.JPG

Nov 9, 2006 at 3:49 AM Post #4 of 9
I now pronounce you two husband and husband/wife. Match made in heaven.

Nov 9, 2006 at 4:06 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82
I heard muddy sound when shield was touching the cable, it was worse.

Have you tried putting the shield half an inch away from the cable? I didn't hear any weaknesses when I did that.

Nope, only removed the outer pvc part and the actual copper shielding, wich was very thick. It really sounded awefull and way too warm... after i removed those two elements, it's all i could ask for. clear(not too bright), detailed and better focus.

The layering was as followes:

core/teflon layer(thick)copper shielding also very think, about half of the diameter of the 4mm2 core(way to much shielding) and outer pvc shielding. Now i only have the core in transparent teflon shielding. Much, much better. Also twisted the pair into eachother, wich also boosts detail.

Nov 9, 2006 at 4:07 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack
I now pronounce you two husband and husband/wife. Match made in heaven.

I only do audio tweaks, i am not into kinky stuff.LOL.
blink.gif
cool.gif
rolleyes.gif
wink.gif

Nov 9, 2006 at 4:13 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline
I only do audio tweaks, i am not into kinky stuff.LOL.
blink.gif
cool.gif
rolleyes.gif
wink.gif

That is a fine line you are walking.... beware of that moment when you think you find yourself really tweaking.

Nov 9, 2006 at 4:18 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack
That is a fine line you are walking.... beware of that moment when you think you find yourself really tweaking.

Everything else is just fine, but when i tried my high end powercable onto my amp, it sounded awefull in comparisson to my commercial silver powercable. Now i removed the heavy shielding, it's up to par with any good or excellent powercable.

Nov 11, 2006 at 2:20 PM Post #9 of 9
Hi Tourmaline,
I did start a thread on this very point about sheilding and silver/plated copper v copper but no one came back with an opinion.

It used to be thought that all chassis wiring should be sheilded. I found from experience that incoming signal wiring into a power amp should be sheilded but other than that it seems that with exceptions sheilding does 'cloud/muddy' the sound.

Stuart

Users who are viewing this thread

Back