Removing PCB-mount transformers?
Nov 6, 2005 at 10:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Nisbeth

Headphoneus Supremus
I need to remove a pair of small transformers from a PCB. Any tips/ideas on how to get the d**n things off without destroying either the transformer or the PCB (or both
rolleyes.gif
). I've removed as much solder as I could using desoldering braid but it's not enough and it's simply impossible to heat all six pins of the transformer at once. Also, the board is home-etched which means there are limits to how much heat it will withstand
frown.gif

/U.

Nov 6, 2005 at 11:54 PM Post #4 of 8
any desoldering tool would do, check ur local electronic shop for a solder sucker

now to remove solder with a solder sucker you need to add solder
wink.gif

add solder to make the existin solder molten, then suck!

Nov 7, 2005 at 8:33 AM Post #5 of 8
The truth is that you'll have to get yourself a desoldering iron. I have one at work with built-in suction. I'll guess you have a doublesided board with plated holes?

Even though with the right tools it can be hard to remove such a component without harming the board. It's easier to get success if the holes are big compared to the wire diameter.

Nov 7, 2005 at 8:44 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by peranders
The truth is that you'll have to get yourself a desoldering iron. I have one at work with built-in suction. I'll guess you have a doublesided board with plated holes?

I think I'll try and get a desoldering iron (IIRC there's a pump-type attachment available for my Weller iron, I think I'll look into that...) The board is single-sided which means it will take even less heat
frown.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by peranders
It's easier to get success if the holes are big compared to the wire diameter.

Yup, but they aren't. They are so snug that I could turn the board upside down without the transformers falling off
mad.gif

/U.

Nov 7, 2005 at 11:58 AM Post #7 of 8
Since it's a singlesided board, suck the pads as clean as you can and then use some force. You don't risk anything really. It's not the same as when you tear away the platings on a doublesided board, especially when you need these platings.

You could also use hot air....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back