Removing paint from mint tin?!
May 15, 2005 at 11:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Twombly

100+ Head-Fier
A friend of mine for whom I'm helping to build a mint tin CMoy wants the damn thing painted white to match his iPod (and a white power indicator LED, though that's bound to kill his battery life). I see a couple painted amps on eyevancsu's site, so I know it's possible, but I'm unsure as to how to go about stripping the paint from it. The metal's pretty thin, so I'm apprehensive about sanding it. Should I hand-sand it? Acetone? Just spray over?

May 15, 2005 at 11:46 PM Post #2 of 20
youn could just prime it and apply a 2nd coat of paint but why not just samd it down? just hand same with 600 or 800 grit sandpaper
biggrin.gif

May 16, 2005 at 12:02 AM Post #4 of 20
Thx u very much <3.
How should I separate the lid from the rest of it? On a Penguin Mints tin (happen to have one on hand?), the hinge assembly is basically a hole in the lid and a flange cut out of the body rolled into the hole. Removing the lid should simply be a matter of bending the flange back and taking out the lid, but given the thinness of the metal, I'm pretty sure it'll break. Maybe a prayer and a firm pull at the correct angle instead?

May 16, 2005 at 12:04 AM Post #5 of 20
if the laquer thinner works for you then you could just pour it in a bowl, and let the tin soke in it for a few min and rub the paint off or wash it off. i dont think you will have to take apart the tin.

May 16, 2005 at 12:04 AM Post #6 of 20
Nevermind, I got the lid off with a screwdriver. I hope to God the hinge holds when I bend it back.

May 16, 2005 at 12:05 AM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fresno Bob
if the laquer thinner works for you then you could just pour it in a bowl, and let the tin soke in it for a few min and rub the paint off or wash it off. i dont think you will have to take apart the tin.

The thing is I need them separate for full paint coverage.

May 16, 2005 at 12:06 AM Post #8 of 20
You can buy some paint stripper just about anywhere, as well, but a light buff with a dremel or some hand sanding would probably work wonders...

May 16, 2005 at 12:09 AM Post #9 of 20
Thanks for all the help, y'all. Should I drill the holes for the panel components first and then paint, or vice versa?

May 16, 2005 at 12:15 AM Post #11 of 20
Thanks again for all your help!

May 16, 2005 at 12:34 AM Post #13 of 20
any material science engineers here? How would you make the tin more durable and resistant to deformation? Could you just take some packing tape and stretch it very tightly on top and bottom? Would this effectively place the surface under tension and thus more durable?

May 16, 2005 at 12:44 AM Post #14 of 20
Maybe install braces inside?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back